514     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 3.1K     7 

Population of downtown Toronto

King of Kensington

Member Bio
Reaction score
My preference is use the following for downtown proper and "greater downtown":

Central Area (Bathurst to Don River, lake to CPR/Rosedale Valley): 199,119 (tracts 11-17, 32-39, 59-68, 88-92)

Bathurst (below Queen)/University (above Queen) to Don (below Queen)/Jarvis (above Queen) below Bloor/Davenport: 102,452 (tracts 11-17, 34-35, 62-63, 88-89)

Last edited:
I find it easier and probably a more accurate idea of "downtown", to simply use Wards 19, 20, 27 & 28. Population (May 2011): 279, 095
This is an increase of 37,325 over 2006

That would take a long time to count! Probably about 700,000 I would guess.

It won't be that high, as the Toronto & East York Community Council shows a total population from 2011 as 701,145

2006:

Central area/greater downtown: 168,186

Downtown core: 75,651

An increase of 18% in the central area and 35% in a more narrowly defined downtown.

I wouldn't include Ward 19.

Well, you have to include at least some of it. Besides downtown officially defined by the city as including everything south of Queen to Dufferin (Downtown West), you can't honestly say the east side of Bathurst is "downtown" and the west side isn't.

Fort York is downtown, as is Liberty Village. It would not have been considered so a few years ago, because it was just a former industrial zone with basically zero residential population. Downtown is still growing...it has never been a static idea.

It won't be that high, as the Toronto & East York Community Council shows a total population from 2011 as 701,145

The community councils don't exactly follow the old municipal boundaries. IIRC, a not insignificant chunk of the old city is covered by the North York CC.

EDIT: I just saw this info was already posted. Sorry!

Last edited:
Great thread! I would be interested in the change in other populations (work-both day and night, hotel).

Well, you have to include at least some of it. Besides downtown officially defined by the city as including everything south of Queen to Dufferin (Downtown West), you can't honestly say the east side of Bathurst is "downtown" and the west side isn't.

Fort York is downtown, as is Liberty Village. It would not have been considered so a few years ago, because it was just a former industrial zone with basically zero residential population. Downtown is still growing...it has never been a static idea.

That would add another 20,000 or so.

That would add another 20,000 or so.

Yea...the Niagara neighbourhood profile seems to cover the area in question almost exactly (except it ends at Atlantic rather than Dufferin, but shouldn't be a big deal).

And you're right, the 2011 census puts it at almost 21,000. But considering everything that has been built since 2011 and will be built and occupied by the next census (Fort York, King West, Queen West Triangle and Liberty Village), it should have massive increases.

Back