News   Mar 28, 2024
 225     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.2K     1 

Help Me, Torontonians!

Roy G Biv

Member Bio
Reaction score
I will have a visitor for the next two weeks, in the form of a 19 yr old boy/man from Germany (near Hamburg). As a proud Torontonian, I want to make sure he only has great things to say to his friends when goes home. Please help me plan possible must-do's. Keep in mind that he has never been to North America and is into fashion.

Possibilities
- Bata Show Museum
- Christian Louboutin exhibit @ Design Exchange
- CN Tower (+ possible Edge Walk)
- Biking around the island
- IMAX movie
- Mirvish Show
- ?

Thanks!

Those are all great ideas. I'd focus on things that make Toronto unique, but also that give this person a chance to do the things he likes.

I know for a fact that Germans have a vastly different beer culture than we do, so how about showcasing ours? The Bellwoods Brewery has a magnificent patio and gives you a chance to see the fun things happening on Ossington. The Mill Street Brewery gives you a chance to see the Distillery District. And so on.

Those are all great ideas. I'd focus on things that make Toronto unique, but also that give this person a chance to do the things he likes.

I know for a fact that Germans have a vastly different beer culture than we do, so how about showcasing ours? The Bellwoods Brewery has a magnificent patio and gives you a chance to see the fun things happening on Ossington. The Mill Street Brewery gives you a chance to see the Distillery District. And so on.

Excellent suggestions, would also recommend Bar Volo on Yonge and/or Cold Tea in Kensington.

You have a great itinerary already, and the other suggestions are good too.

A really unique North American (aside from Japan) experience could be a Jays game. It's not for everyone, of course, but it would probably be something he could tell people about back home that they have never seen, and at worst, it's a relaxing 3 hours and a chance to see a huge cross-section of the city together in one place.

EDIT: cool tip to remember: It is 100% allowed to bring your own food/snacks to the game. You don't have to buy the $8 hot dogs.

Last edited:
Edit: nvm.

Yes, hitting different neighbourhoods and walking around before settling for a neat craft beer oasis is something that I love doing with out-of-towners.

Nowadays the Junction is a fantastic place to do this as well. There's easily 5 establishments all worth going to for a pint of craft ale.

P.S. The ROM has great exhibitions that show the evolution of western domestic design over time, and others that showcase contemporary culture around the world.

Last edited:
Perhaps Kensington Market with all of its vintage clothing shops.

Last edited:
Niagara Falls. This is what the rest of the world thinks is in Toronto. We forget about it, because it's not in Toronto ... but if he's never been in North America before, you have to get him there!

Niagara Falls. This is what the rest of the world thinks is in Toronto. We forget about it, because it's not in Toronto ... but if he's never been in North America before, you have to get him there!

Yeah precisely. + Maybe the marineland with orcas and belugas.

They really do think it's in Toronto. A visitor from Houston recently asked if she could take the subway to the Falls.

You have a great itinerary already, and the other suggestions are good too.

A really unique North American (aside from Japan) experience could be a Jays game. It's not for everyone, of course, but it would probably be something he could tell people about back home that they have never seen, and at worst, it's a relaxing 3 hours and a chance to see a huge cross-section of the city together in one place.

EDIT: cool tip to remember: It is 100% allowed to bring your own food/snacks to the game. You don't have to buy the $8 hot dogs.

Or if you want to see a sport that's less boring where the team might actually win, see an Argos game. :D

If he's 'into fashion', Bloor/Yorkville, King Street East between Spadina & Bathurst, Ossington, West Queen West and if you have a car he might appreciate the 'Castlefield Design District'. I've found Europeans also like to have that 'Canada' experience, so a quick drive to the Elora Gorge or up to some place on the Canadian Sheild like the Kawarthas works.

While the Kawarthas can be quite touristy, they're not on the Shield for the most part. They're mostly in the middle of farmland. You have to go farther north to get the true Canadian Shield experience, with the possible exception of Stoney Lake.

Back