Toronto Humber River Hospital | ?m | 14s | HRRH | HDR

S

screenplaying

Does anyone know how plans are proceeding for the 2009 HRRH hospital announced by the Ontario government back in December?

www.hrrh.on.ca/single/default.asp

My understanding is that the location wasn't set in stone. Is this still the case? They mention the Ministry of Transportation lands in North York as a high-on-the-list possibility, but I'm wondering what other options they are/have considered?

It's still a rumour at this point in time, but I have heard, from people in the know, that this is still the plan.

Downsview Park was another possibility, but that site hasn't been talked about much lately.

Darkstar:

I think there is a proposal to move it to St. Catherines. Not sure if that's still in the plans however.

AoD

There is a large MTO building in downtown St. Catharines (similar to the MNR building in Peterborough, though appropriately, the MTO building is also the bus terminal!), and I'm pretty sure the ministerial offices (and that of the most senior bureaucracy) would be close to Queen's Park. MTO is not the exclusive user of the property, I remember two NDP MPPs entering the property a few years ago, something to do with social services records.

The land is huge. They could probably build one or two parking garages, and build the hospital without much demolition (except maybe some of the maintenance/outbuildings). The property is a sea of parking.

I heard that the hospital was going to be located somewhere along the York subway extension.

Within the Ontario government, the threat of having your job sent to the MTO lands in Downsview is pretty much the same as the threat of having all the members of your immediate family killed. If even a rumour comes up about it, people polish their resumes. I've been up there, and the complex of buildings is truly depressing.

Construction to begin in 2010. Three years from now. So there'll be an announcement now, one or two announcment/ceremonies between now and 2010, (ie funding and design stages), a ground breaking, and then opening.

Great way to milk the project for all the political benefit.

"Like all hospitals in Ontario, Humber River Regional Hospital is
publicly owned and controlled."

Sounds like a "well, duh" statement, but I figure this means P3 (but not "P3").

The "head office" of the MTO moved to St. Catharines about 10 years ago. Some people are still at Downsview, along with people from some other ministries. If I understand the current proposal correctly, it won't require moving anyone else out; the hospital will utilize land which is pretty much unused at present.

I thought they were looking at locating the hospital somewhere up along the York subway line. It was part of the business case some years ago.

This is still a go. The new super hospital (replaces the Church St. Weston and Keele/Northwestern sites) is supposed to open by 2015, with construction underway by 2012. The York-Finch site would be an ambulatory care site (a glorified clinic).

York University is looking to get a new medical school, and HRRH would supposedly be a teaching hospital.

Apart from the tallest buildings on the site, the MTO site would be razed and redeveloped over a number of years.

The first to be built is the coroner's courts/forensic centre. It is designed by WZMH.
http://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/english/ForensicServicesandCoronersComplex/FSCC_intro.html

3652092751_4da6802e9f.jpg

Larger image here.

ORC Page:
http://www.ontariorealty.ca/Whats-N...rovincial-Campus-401-Keele--Redevelopment.htm

Staff Report:
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-20780.pdf

Very cool. It's kind of a shame that it could be built on a subway line, though.

I've always wondered why certain hospitals have pretty poor reputations, ones that seem to bear out in the hospital report cards published by the OHA. Osler and HRRH consistently appear to be at the bottom of the barrel.

Back