News   Apr 16, 2024
 359     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.5K     7 

About the CityNews Channel

Not surprising. I have never seen anybody watch that channel.

Does anyone watch any news channels in general? Before you'd have to wait 30mins to get the weather, now it's their top story most of the time. I find these 24hour news channels a complete waste and I especially find 1hour newscasts pointless as well. News should be 30mins max. You have news at 6 and then 11. Just stick to the 6'oclock news for 30mins and the rest is history (easily find news online if you need to find out about any breaking news, which is seldom actually breaking or worthwhile to even mention).

Does anyone watch any news channels in general? Before you'd have to wait 30mins to get the weather, now it's their top story most of the time. I find these 24hour news channels a complete waste and I especially find 1hour newscasts pointless as well. News should be 30mins max. You have news at 6 and then 11. Just stick to the 6'oclock news for 30mins and the rest is history (easily find news online if you need to find out about any breaking news, which is seldom actually breaking or worthwhile to even mention).

With the internet, yeah, they are a bit of a waste of time. But there's always the captive markets - the subway screens, elevator monitors, waiting rooms. As long as you have a news service to feed from, there things run themselves and get ad views. The trouble is that CP24 was the one and only established local news network, Rogers just couldn't compete.

Last edited:
CityNews was the only local news station to stream live online so I was sorry to see it go although the quality of reporting wasn't all that great.

As for all those wishing for the demise of the SUN News Network I hope that this doesn't happen. While I don't agree with everything on SUN News I like that they are not afraid to tackle topics that all other networks consider "too taboo". SUN News is also the most pro free speech media outlet in the country. In a country that is becoming more and more like a police state we need a voice like SUN News to stand up for our rights.

To all of you cheering on the possible demise of SUN News Network I would say be careful what you wish for!

I thought this topic was going to be about City starting its own news network. Then I find out it's about it being shut down. I hadn't even realized that it had launched!

It wasn't great, but at least it was more watchable than CP24. Rogers has ruined CityTV.
I must agree. CP24 is so full of advertising that it is hard to watch and since it now has a monopoly on 24-hour local news channels for Toronto again, they can practically fill the channel with advertising and poor news reporting, and many people would still watch it. CityNews Channel was slightly better (in terms of having less non-Rogers advertising everywhere).

I thought this topic was going to be about City starting its own news network. Then I find out it's about it being shut down. I hadn't even realized that it had launched!
That is the main reason for CityNews Channel's demise (along with the lack of carriage for non-Rogers-Digital non-Shaw-Digital non-Cogeco-Digital customers).

Last edited:

Back