Toronto Waverley | 57.09m | 15s | Fitzrovia | Kirkor

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Current location of the notorious Hotel Waverly.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=3350946

484 SPADINA AVE
Ward 20 - Tor & E.York
OPA / Rezoning

The new building consists of a 2-storey podium containing retail and commercial uses, with a 20- storey tower above, containing 202 residential units. The proposal would have an overall building height of approximately 70 metres to the top of the main roof (plus mechanical penthouse). The new building will contain three levels of underground parking accommodating 70 vehicular spaces and accessed from Douglas Campbell Lane. 214 bicycle parking spaces are proposed as part of this application.

Considering that there's a schoolyard to the immediate northwest of this site, I don't see any way that this flies.

True. Unless the tower features a series of considerable setbacks or is a proportioned slim profile designed to mitigate shadow impact. But even those measures seem to be unlikely to be sufficient considering its proximity to Lord Lansdowne PS.

On a lighter note, check out the sketch interiors of the Waverly here. Gotta love the professionalism on that website.

about 15 years ago my buddy worked in house security at the Waverly and the stories he told me about the "guests" there.He mentioned that some well known stars have been guest there also who wanted to avoid the media scrum.Actually the Silver Dollar must go also if they plan to develop this site,sooner or later the Scout Mission will have to be relocated.

AlbertC:

Considering the Single Room Occupancy-esque reputation of the Waverly, I am surprised that it even got a website.

AoD

I feel like the Waverly and Silver Dollar belong on some sort of Seedy Historical Registry, to be officially preserved as prime examples of the city's less-savoury past. (Also on that list would be Filmore's and Jilly's.)

It's also immediately next door to the Scott Mission. The Mission does wonderful and admirable work and is in its way a Toronto landmark. But how many will want to purchase a condo next to the city's largest inner city mission?

Of course, the location of Toronto's poverty concentration is shifting and maybe the Mission should follow it. But to the best if my knowledge they are not contemplating that in the near future.

I feel like the Waverly and Silver Dollar belong on some sort of Seedy Historical Registry, to be officially preserved as prime examples of the city's less-savoury past. (Also on that list would be Filmore's and Jilly's.)

Honourable mention also goes to Hooker Harvey's and the Brunswick House.

It's also immediately next door to the Scott Mission. The Mission does wonderful and admirable work and is in its way a Toronto landmark. But how many will want to purchase a condo next to the city's largest inner city mission?

Of course, the location of Toronto's poverty concentration is shifting and maybe the Mission should follow it. But to the best if my knowledge they are not contemplating that in the near future.

Until the mission goes, this area will be permanently seedy. It's really not the hotel that's making it so- I could see the Waverly being reborn as a boutique hotel muck like the Drake or Gladstone.

Anyways, this project will likely not get off the ground with the mission still present.

Whole Spadina will eventually see a renewal of this area.Scott Mission will be gone sooner or later and the Ex funeral home will be gone also.Silver Dollar seen better days.What is happening at College and Spadina where the ex Apple store was located.Lots of renovations.

Last edited:
By the way, at one time the Funeral Home rejoiced in the name, "Wing On Funeral Home." :)

So where should the Scott Mission go, in your opinion? Because it doesn't look as if either homelessness or poverty in general will disappear from Toronto in the near future.

That's not really a rhetorical question by the way. Disclosure: at one time I was on the Board of the Scott Mission and though I have moved away from Toronto, I still support it and have a keen interest. With the gentrification of much of the inner city, where the various agencies that serve the homeless and poor should be located is a real question.

Last edited:
It's really not the hotel that's making it so- I could see the Waverly being reborn as a boutique hotel muck like the Drake or Gladstone.

It doesn't have the compelling and charming architecture of those places to make that possible.

So where should the Scott Mission go, in your opinion? Because it doesn't look as if either homelessness or poverty in general will disappear from Toronto in the near future.

I think it's time the suburbs took on their share.

Roughly speaking, the Scott Mission serves two groups of people. One group is made up of the street people and the homeless. The other is made up of folks, often families, sometimes refugees or other new arrivals, who do have places to live, but find it difficult to make ends meet for a variety of reasons. The second group is scattered through the city but can be found chiefly in the inverted "U" of poverty of Toronto. The first group is still downtown by and large, however.

So, imagine the Mission moved to, say, Rexdale or Malvern. How would they serve their clients in the first group or their clients in the second group from very different parts of the suburbs? Remember also that clients will probably have to travel by public transit. At some point the location may well have to shift, but "let the suburbs take their share" may not be the best answer.

In the meantime, to get back to the subject of the thread, a condo at 484 Spadina may have a serious sales problem.

Back