News   Mar 28, 2024
 272     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 252     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 288     0 

Housing Type Breakdown

What type of dwelling do you currently reside in?

• High-rise condo/apartment

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Low- or mid-rise condo/apartment

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Townhouse

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Semi-detached house

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Detached house

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters

James

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just curious as to what type of dwelling other members of UrbanToronto currently live in.

Three floor plus finished basement, five bedroom, two bathrooms plus one single piece washroom semi in Cabbagetown. Owned since 1998 when I was 27 years old - first home after I got married and left my basement apartment on the Danforth. I took its solid brick Victorian construction and urban charm for granted until I moved to a suburban matchstick box in Fredericton from 2004 to 2007. Was glad to be back.

Last edited:
5-bedroom Cabbagetown semi? Sounds like a nice property, especially if you bought in '98. I'm assuming you had it leased out for the years you were in New Brunswick?

5-bedroom Cabbagetown semi? Sounds like a nice property, especially if you bought in '98. I'm assuming you had it leased out for the years you were in New Brunswick?
No nabob here. Rooms are very tiny, no closets. And lots of stairs - good exercise. I think the total house with basement is about 2,100 sqft.

We leased it out for those three years. We knew we were coming back as it was a three year contact in Fredericton.

No nabob here. Rooms are very tiny, no closets. And lots of stairs - good exercise. I think the total house with basement is about 2,100 sqft.

We leased it out for those three years. We knew we were coming back as it was a three year contact in Fredericton.

I hear you about rooms being small with no closets. I had a house midtown and it, too, had the same peculiarities. The lack of closet space or very little closet space was something that many people accustomed to newer homes were mildly put off about.

As far as stairs, most people I know in the newer 3-storey townhomes note the same thing. Lots of up and down but, at the end of the day, they say it's great exercise!

Our house is the opposite - it's probably also about 2100 feet (and also in Cabbagetown), but it only really has two (though well-sized and with ample closet space) bedrooms (the attic is finished and could theoretically be a bedroom, but the stairs to get up there are really steep and would have to be changed if we actually wanted to use it as a bedroom instead of a junk storage space). It also has three bathrooms, all with bathtubs/showers. The previous owners (who renovated it fairly extensively before his job was transferred and they had to sell) clearly didn't hold "number of bedrooms" at a premium.

It worked out well for us since there's just the two of us, but wouldn't suit a family unless it only had one (or max two) kids. I think the lack of bedrooms turned people away from bidding (there was only one other offer on the house, and they couldn't have been that interested since we only bid about 1% over asking), which also worked in our favour.

Back