Toronto York University: Bergeron Centre (Lassonde School) | ?m | ?s | York University | ZAS Architects

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://lassonde.yorku.ca/our-new-home/

Lassonde_build1.jpg

lassondebuild3.jpg

AlbertC:

Thanks for the news - interesting, I wonder what firm is behind it. I am not convinced that a) the renderings are illustrative of the intended actual product (it doesn't communicate realism, besides it fact that it probably won the worst renderpeople award of the year) and b) that the actual product will resemble what's proposed.

AoD

The render is not meant to be taken literally. From the website:

"The designs for the new home of the Lassonde School of Engineering are beginning to take shape.

This landmark structure will be home to everyone at Lassonde and we want your input as we develop a design in collaboration with our architects. Our new home must reflect our vision for the future in both form and functionality, and be designed to service the needs of all our users, including our students, faculty and staff."

Wait, York has an Engineering program? That's big enough news for me to digest first.

They have for many years now ... but only offered:
Computer Engineering.
Space Engineering
Gemoatic Engineering.

They want to add the rest (i.e. the more traditional offerings) and accordingly grow their engineering department.

I go to York so this is exciting news. Any idea on where this would be built?

Don't get too excited ... I'd say out of every university, YorkU has the worst (in recent times) architecture ... I do like some of the brutalism.

I think its on the parking lot near the computer scenario and engineering building (near Petrie ... the building with the telescopes).

Is anyone else getting a notification saying they need to log in to a York U page when you open this thread?

With any luck, perhaps several decades from from now York will actually have an urban presence along one of the arterial roads it borders :p

Don't get too excited ... I'd say out of every university, YorkU has the worst (in recent times) architecture ... I do like some of the brutalism.

Its a while since you have been there then? The new Life Science building is quite handsome, and the re-fit of the old Ice Palace (now Sherman Health Research Centre) has created a great work space...

AmJ

http://lassonde.yorku.ca/building-our-home

The new home of Lassonde School of Engineering is a 167,500 sq. ft., six-floor structure that will represent in both form and function the principles that define this ground breaking project.

‘The Cloud’ design of the building will be as iconic on the outside as it is radical on the inside.

The dynamic, evolutionary vision of this Renaissance Engineering™ School will be represented in a flowing, elegant external form that is indivisible from the creative enterprise within. Lassonde’s new home is a bold reflection of the School’s mission to absorb thinking from beyond the immediacy, to look outward, to see possibilities not in blue skies but in the complex realities of the present.

Back