News   Mar 28, 2024
 294     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 332     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 689     0 

Riverside

I wonder if the Edge Loft residents will fight an Italian resto like they fought a Jamaican one. My guess is... NOT.

photo.jpg

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 2,409
BikeSauce has moved into a new location just a block north on Broadview, south of Gerrard

so you're suggesting there's racism in their protest?

I'd be more concerned about Real Jerk's late hours and noise at night (especially with the liquor license), a lot more traffic with RJ than il ponte - never heard of them (pedestrian and vehicular) and odours.

I wonder if the Edge Loft residents will fight an Italian resto like they fought a Jamaican one. My guess is... NOT.

so you're suggesting there's racism in their protest?

I'd be more concerned about Real Jerk's late hours and noise at night (especially with the liquor license), a lot more traffic with RJ than il ponte - never heard of them (pedestrian and vehicular) and odours.

Jason has a point though. Are Real Jerk's hours any later than Il Ponte's or any other restaurant with a liquor license in the city? RJ was at one point a landmark attracting celebrities and all kinds of VIPs. I figure that would be a good thing. Odours would make sense if they didn't allow any restaurants occupy that space.

If they didn't want any restaurants or any spaces that served liquor....I wouldn't have a problem. But alas, that isn't the case and I knew it as soon as they made a stink about it.

I wouldn't want any restaurant in my building. The risk of pests is way too high. Delivery trucks make noise and block access. Garbage ends up being piled up at night curbside or in laneways -- and then the garbage trucks come. Food odor is also an issue, although I would rather have an Italian place than any place that specializes in meat -- whether it's burgers or souvlakis or jerk chicken. There's something about all that grease that hangs in the air.

JasonParis said:
Yup, exactly what I was suggesting.

Are you suggesting Il Ponte will be an Italian restaurant without wine and Moretti? That Italian food doesn't smell? That people drive to Jamaican restaurants, but walk to Italian ones?

RJ's popularity would make it much more busier than some Italian eatery/restaurant.
sure an Italian restaurant will have wine, etc but the volume of people will be more with RJ.

I never said people would drive to a Jamaican restaurant and walk to an Italian one.
what I did say is that RJ's popularity will have higher traffic (both pedestrian and vehicular) than il Ponte.

most Italian food I've had smelled of garlic, maybe some seafood.
Jamaican food could have curry, cumin, tamarind and other pungent spices.

Jason has a point though. Are Real Jerk's hours any later than Il Ponte's or any other restaurant with a liquor license in the city? RJ was at one point a landmark attracting celebrities and all kinds of VIPs. I figure that would be a good thing. Odours would make sense if they didn't allow any restaurants occupy that space.

If they didn't want any restaurants or any spaces that served liquor....I wouldn't have a problem. But alas, that isn't the case and I knew it as soon as they made a stink about it.

RJ hours (add at least another hour for clean up, etc.)
MONDAY-WEDNESDAY 11:30 am - 11pm
THURSDAY 11:30 am - 12 am
FRIDAY 11:30 am- 1:00 am
​SATURDAY 1 pm - 1:00 am
SUNDAY 3 pm - 10:00 pm

RJ's popularity would make it much busier than some Italian eatery/restaurant.

Unless of course the Italian resto became... popular. In which case it becomes a zero sum game.

As for whatever cuisine is allegedly more pungent, opinions tend to cluster along cultural lines. Italians used to be nastily dismissed by the waspy landed gentry as being "garlic eaters," the connotation being that they smelled odious. Personally, I'd much rather live close to a curry or jerk joint than a KFC... now that's disgusting.

Back