News   Mar 28, 2024
 949     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 538     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 833     0 

So why is North York so Expensive? And Scarborough so cheap?

partly attributed to the sheppard subway up to Don Mills Rd so the convenience of public transit.

however, Scarb has the stigma of higher rates of crime and certain ethnic groups also suppressing the prices (according to r/e agents)

partly attributed to the sheppard subway up to Don Mills Rd so the convenience of public transit.

however, Scarb has the stigma of higher rates of crime and certain ethnic groups also suppressing the prices (according to r/e agents)

Ok. Because At Leslie and Finch it's 1.5 million. (real expensive imo) And Brimley and Finch 500-688k at the most, it's shocking to me.

Ok. Because At Leslie and Finch it's 1.5 million. (real expensive imo) And Brimley and Finch 500-688k at the most, it's shocking to me.

what does that shock you? Yorkville can easily be 50% more expensive than Bay/Wellesley, although within 10 minutes of walk.

Scarbourogh has seen declining wealth in the past decade. Medium income in scarbro has dropped as wealthy and mid income folks are moving away. In other words, it is a declining area where local residents are becoming poorer and poorer.

Have you seen Scarborough? The majority of that city looks so flat, suburban and boring. Most houses are cookie cutters with no character. Transit is horrible. I would rather live in a 500sf box in old Toronto than a 2000sf new house in Scarborough.

Scarbourogh has seen declining wealth in the past decade. Medium income in scarbro has dropped as wealthy and mid income folks are moving away. In other words, it is a declining area where local residents are becoming poorer and poorer.

Have you seen Scarborough? The majority of that city looks so flat, suburban and boring. Most houses are cookie cutters with no character. Transit is horrible. I would rather live in a 500sf box in old Toronto than a 2000sf new house in Scarborough.
Noted. I guess that's why they want the sheppard subway so bad...

A lot has to do with the commute to drive downtown. Leslie/Finch is at least 20 minutes closer to downtown, maybe more during rush hour.

The same size house in Rosedale or Forest Hill will cost even more.

Also, people often buy things for status, and real estate is definitely one of them.

Partly because I don't think some place in North York are worth the price. The Don Mills are isn't even that nice they're ask for 850k just to enter the market.

It's worth what people are willing to pay for it. Different people place value on different things, eh?

A lot has to do with the commute to drive downtown. Leslie/Finch is at least 20 minutes closer to downtown, maybe more during rush hour.

The same size house in Rosedale or Forest Hill will cost even more.

Also, people often buy things for status, and real estate is definitely one of them.

Good Points. I guess the longer commute is not cool at all.

It's worth what people are willing to pay for it. Different people place value on different things, eh?

Pretty much. Social stigmas can do a lot.

Last edited:
North York has easy accessibility to downtown Toronto via Don Valley Parkway, Finch Station, and Sheppard subway line.
Bayview Avenue which runs through central North York has long been considered a prestigous road to live nearby.
North York is also home to some of the best schools in the GTA.

Scarborough do not have these features and nor have some of the finer older houses and established neighbourhoods like North York has.
Demographics are also very different, as Scarborough is home to a larger concentration of immigrants and poorer and lesser educated residents.
Like any town/city, Scarborough does have some pockets of expensive and highly desirable neighbourhoods, such as Scarborough Village and The Bluffs.

Back