News   Mar 28, 2024
 197     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 210     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 269     0 

479 Danforth Ave (@Logan, Symmetry Construction, 4s, Anna Voineskos Architects) COMPLETE

anonymous0024

Member Bio
Reaction score
Small infill on the southwest corner of the Danforth and Logan, couldn't find a thread for this.

8554045227_67a134dae6_b.jpg

8555153312_8d1cf1731f_b.jpg

Small infill on the southwest corner of the Danforth and Logan, couldn't find a thread for this.

Thx for that. Fruit King was there for years, then, weirdly, two other vegetable stands opened across the street. Nice to see the 'Greek restaurant for sale' next door finally got reno'd, too. What a waste that was of prime Danforth space!

Thx for that. Fruit King was there for years, then, weirdly, two other vegetable stands opened across the street. Nice to see the 'Greek restaurant for sale' next door finally got reno'd, too. What a waste that was of prime Danforth space!

The building is a little ornament but I like it and its great infill. Google streetvire has a pic of the Fruit King that existed before. This is a huge improvement.

I was a little worried about the 5-story mid block proposal down the street, but now I welcome it. I would love to see more of these narrow mid-rise buildings sprout up on the Danforth.

The cheeseball detail is over the line for me. It would have looked much less candyland if they'd used brick on the whole thing instead of that cheap-looking EIFS. Because the buildings around this intersection are a bit of a mishmash, it probably would have been an ideal spot for a stronger, modern-styled building. The size does demonstrate that Danforth would feel comfortable with more 4-6 story buildings.

The 4 storeys looks too low for the street. I think 6 to 8 storeys is just about perfect for Danforth. It would give it a nice, intimate feel and certainly increase the density, while providing better retail. The Danforth has some of the ugliest buildings in Toronto, so the sooner they transform that street, the better. It seems to be one of Toronto's few remaining, undeveloped, central neighbourhoods.

Last edited:
The 4 storeys looks too low for the street. I think 6 to 8 storeys is just about perfect for Danforth. It would give it a nice, intimate feel and certainly increase the density, while providing better retail. The Danforth has some of the ugliest buildings in Toronto, so the sooner they transform that street, the better. It seems to be one of Toronto's few remaining, undeveloped, central neighbourhoods.

While I think that 6-8 stories with a 3-4 story step back can work nicely on the Danforth, all the 90 year old Greek ladies who inherited the store from their husbands/fathers/great-uncles are not going anywhere. The Danforth will change slowly.

The cheeseball detail is over the line for me. It would have looked much less candyland if they'd used brick on the whole thing instead of that cheap-looking EIFS. Because the buildings around this intersection are a bit of a mishmash, it probably would have been an ideal spot for a stronger, modern-styled building. The size does demonstrate that Danforth would feel comfortable with more 4-6 story buildings.

Took the words out of my mouth. If they used brick instead of the EIFS I'd be heaping all kinds of praise. Ultimately it will be an eye-sore.

Took the words out of my mouth. If they used brick instead of the EIFS I'd be heaping all kinds of praise. Ultimately it will be an eye-sore.

Why don't you guys spend the $3.00 for a subway token (because none of you complainers have cars) and go to Danforth to see the progress.

The picture first posted and what is actually being built are actually quite different.

While I think that 6-8 stories with a 3-4 story step back can work nicely on the Danforth, all the 90 year old Greek ladies who inherited the store from their husbands/fathers/great-uncles are not going anywhere. The Danforth will change slowly.

The 90 year old Greek ladies didn't "inherit" anything. They worked, real hard actually, invested, and ended up millionaires. I know it sucks for most of you complainers to think you'll never have even 10% of the wealth of these "old ladies", but it is what it is.

Think about it, the Greeks only started coming in large numbers in the 50's. So how would a 90 year old "inherit" property from their fathers or "great uncles"?

Maybe one day if you work really really hard, invest wisely, and make the right moves, you too will also have multi million dollar properties in prime neighbourhoods (unlikely but it doesn't hurt for you to dream).

If it looks better than the rendering, good! As I stated before, this is great infill and a good development, even if the architecture is cheese whiz.

Back