News   Mar 28, 2024
 422     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 375     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 726     0 

Origin Restaurant (@Bayview Village Mall, Orlando Corp, 2s, AUDAXarchitecture)

someMidTowner

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure if a thread exists for this already, but the new standalone restaurant in the Bayview Village parking lot fronting Sheppard, replacing the Sierra Grill building (formerly known as Sunshines back in the day) is coming along nicely. Architect is AUDAXarchitecture, info available here

Today:

YSq5W6h.jpg

Once, again sorry if a thread already exists

I'm glad it's built right out to the sidewalk. Maybe one day, that area will actually become pedestrian friendly, if this becomes the norm. (I can dream, can't I)

Somehow I find those sort of small, token parkettes to be more of an affront to the elusive 'urbanity' than a few parking spaces.

Somehow I find those sort of small, token parkettes to be more of an affront to the elusive 'urbanity' than a few parking spaces.

I don't disagree, as they can be perceived as some little gesture devoid of any real purpose, with little to no real programming involved. I just lament the loss of some randomly placed - yet intriguing - little public space, especially in an area where the pedestrian realm could be a little bit friendlier. This one in particular fails on a several of levels: no seating, lack of any meaningful connection to anything, wrong location, and you probably can't sleep there*. It looks as if it was intended to be a mini gateway for a greenway between Sheppard and the mall, but is just some foyer without a hall. It would have been better off connected to/integrated with the Bayview Subway Station entrance at the NE corner of Bayview and Sheppard, which is almost as abysmal as it gets. The funny thing is, I've driven by this parkette (and gone under via subway) countless times and never knew it was there.

* Last point from an interesting lecture I attended given by Mark Kingwell on Public Spaces.

Back