News   Apr 24, 2024
 935     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 613     0 

Lindsay, Bobcaygeon, Fenelon Falls and more - the Kawarthas!

B

Brighter Hell

the kawartha lakes region is located about 150 km northeast of toronto. the lakes form the central link in the trent-severn waterway, started in the 1800s for commerce, but now used by pleasure boaters to get from lake ontario to georgian bay. the locations of the locks is where many of the towns sprung up. the area's not as popular as muskoka, but it's not as overrun with cottages either. over the past year and a bit i've taken pictures of the major towns and villages in the area, some in summer, some in winter. the complete galleries, of course, can be found on trillium photography.

here's a handy map to orient yourselves.
kawarthasmap.jpg

1. first up is lindsay. with a population of 18,000, it's the second biggest community in the area (no peterborough in this thread).

001.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

010.jpg

kent street is one of the widest main streets in ontario and it has diagonal parking. backing out of a diagonal spot can be a bitch when there's a lot of traffic.
021.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

015.jpg

019.jpg

024.jpg

the red brick building is the academy theatre.
027.jpg

030.jpg

the ruins of an old mill. there's an old locomotive in the same park, but it's all fenced in. that didn't stop me and a friend of mine from exploring it - when we get stoned we tend to climb things :p
034.jpg

2. at the eastern end of the lakes is lakefield, 10 minutes north of peterborough. if you're going to stoney lake you probably go through lakefield.

001.jpg

the village square
002.jpg

004.jpg

lakefield was once home to authors margaret laurence, catherine parr traill, and susanna moodie.
006.jpg

a new hotel on the site of an old one that burned down.
007.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

a summer pic
021.jpg

3. next up: buckhorn, basically a pit stop for boaters. it has a great rustic feel and marks the start of the canadian shield. the buckhorn lock is one of the system's busiest.

001.jpg

002.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

4. bridgenorth is located at the causeway that crosses chemong lake. it's not a beautiful town or anything, but a tonne of tourist and commuter traffic crossing the lake here makes it a busy spot.

001.jpg

003.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

5. bobcaygeon is the place that inspired that tragically hip song. it's a great town to take a walk in - downtown stretches over 3 islands and onto the mainland. if you're walking around you're pretty likely to hear some tourist drive by playing the hip. don't encourage them.

004.jpg

005.jpg

lots of outdoor displays in town.
009.jpg

bigley's shoe store, which is a crazy people magnet. bobcaygeon people like their shoes i guess.
010.jpg

011.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

the local fishing hole, frequented by japanese tourists.
018.jpg

023.jpg

i don't think she approved of me taking her picture lol
024.jpg

027.jpg

6. just down the road is fenelon falls, on the other side of sturgeon lake. it's named after, well, the falls. a good place for people watching along the canal.

001.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

one of the deepest locks on the trent-severn system
011.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

and of course the falls
019.jpg

7. and finally we come to omemee. it's as far as you can navigate down the pigeon river - not many do. it's kind of a place that people drive through, but it has some nice architecture. i lived in the area as a kid. so did neil young :D

001.jpg

003.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

playstation and nintendo64? somehow this building got stuck in a time warp around 1997.
012.jpg

015.jpg

well that's it! hope you enjoyed the tour!

Re: Lindsay, Bobcaygeon, Fenelon Falls and more - the Kawart

Thanks for the tour. It gives you a nice impression of rural Ontario. Looks like there's quite a lot of nice smaller towns around there.

You got one of my co-workers apartments in Lindsay!

Good job!

Great pics!

Nice images! I will be spending time in that area in the summer. Looking forward to it.

Looks like you encountered quite the extremes in weather. ;)

Fenelon Falls has the same-sized historical downtown as Markham even though Markham has a population of 200,000 people and Fenelon Falls has, like, 2,000.

^yup, and more crowded than MCC :\

Back