News   Mar 28, 2024
 737     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 494     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 804     0 

Sheraton Centre (123 Queen West, new windows & exterior repairs)

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5H 3M9

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 121350 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Feb 19, 2013

Project: Motel/Hotel Other(BA)

Description: Proposal for concrete repairs to exterior walls and window replacement to exsting hotel - "Sheraton Centre"

Awesome! This big old beast deserves some new windows; especially given the mismatched ones it has at the moment due to years of replacements that don't match the originals.

This is such a lost strip of prime property, it needs to be re-thought not just new windows and concrete repairs.

The bunker-like street frontages along Queen and Richmond are the biggest flaws of the Sheraton Centre. Hopefully a revamp of those two sections gets taken into consideration during these repairs.

If they clean up the concrete and add tinted windows, this could actually be a very sharp building. I really hope the removed the god awful Sheraton Centre red neon sign at the top.

I know a lot of people find this building ghastly, but i like it! I agree with barit and davejohnson, hopefully they will install opening windows and fix up the old rusty "Sheraton Centre " sign.

This is such a lost strip of prime property, it needs to be re-thought not just new windows and concrete repairs.

yes yes. the building probably occupies the most prominent location in the city yet it oozes blandness and coldess.
I am also glad it is not recladded to be all glass, but apparent more needs to be done than just installing new windows. Right now it sits there like a very unwelcoming stone fortress.

They need to tread really, really carefully with the window replacement - it has the potential to turn into another ugly mess like the clashing tinted windows at Hudson Bay Tower (Y + B).

AoD

My only problem is the Queen Street frontage. The entrance to the parking off Queen was a major mistake, one that likely will never be rectified. The hidden interior courtyard is a real gem that unfortunately most people don't realize exists because of the poor design. Its too bad the courtyard didn't open up to Queen.

My only problem is the Queen Street frontage. The entrance to the parking off Queen was a major mistake, one that likely will never be rectified. The hidden interior courtyard is a real gem that unfortunately most people don't realize exists because of the poor design. Its too bad the courtyard didn't open up to Queen.

It pretty much did open to Queen, until they locked the door from the plus-15 to Nathan Phillips Square. Maybe they can fix that too?

This- the tower is fine, the area fronting Queen needs to be blown apart and rebuilt with a more inviting colonade and more retail, greenery and windows. The parking entrance should be spruced up with planters, seating and maybe interesting sculpture, and areas like the little courtyard beside the Thompson buildings need to be activated or filled in. The roofline of the podium needs to be softened with some vegetation as per Brutalist ideals, and some color wouldn't be a bad thing either.

It's surprising that the Richmond facade looks more urban than the one facing Queen!

It pretty much did open to Queen, until they locked the door from the plus-15 to Nathan Phillips Square. Maybe they can fix that too?

Yeah, but what's the incentive to the hotelier to open up their courtyard into essentially being public space? I remain skeptical that this is going to happen anytime soon.

Back