androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO M5H 1C3

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 120306 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Feb 14, 2013

Project: Non-Residential Building Other Proposal

Description: Proposal to alter the existing 20-storey commercial office building by: 1) remove existing sloped glass canopy at south face and provide new slab in-fill at Podium roof and 3rd floor; 2) Add approx. 26.7 SM (287 SF) of new roof in-fill at the Podium in former canopy location; 3) Add approx. 32.5 SM (350 SF) of new floor slab in-fill on the 3rd floor in former canopy location; 4) Expand the existing commercial retail space at east side on the ground floor by approx. 48.3 SM (525 SF); 5) Reclad South and East Face of the Tower with new insulated curtainwall glass and glass spandrel system; 6) Reclad portion of North and West face of the Tower with new insulated curtainwall wired glass and glass spandrel system; 7) Reclad remaining portion of North and West face of the Tower with new double glazed, wired-glass window system; 8) Replace existing curtainwall system at Podium with new curtainwall system

Capture2k.JPG

It's the Prudential Building, Peter Dickinson, built in 1960, listed since 1990. Hopefully they do a good job at it a la Google.

AoD

Though I'm concerned about this "glass spandrel system" talk, given that the existing spandrels are precast. Like, if this is more of a FCP-reclad affair than a Google-restoration affair, Dickinson's integrity is in trouble...

Everybody wants their damn building to be 100% all glass. This is getting to be VERY tedious.

Well, the proposal certainly gets off to a promising start with "remove existing sloped glass canopy." Thereafter, it all starts to go rather downhill.

It's fine how it is. Who owns this building? If they feel like burning money I have better suggestions.

It's seems they're burning money to save it: it's all stressing the double-glazed insulated aspect of the new material. More and more businesses are demanding that they be in more environmentally-concious buildings.

The same energy goals could be met with new precast as opposed to glass spandrel.

This building has been desperately in need of a restoration for a long time. It did not age very well at all. Hopefully they don't just turn it into a blue glass box.

I still find it very depressing that my favourite Dickinson building was ruined with its reclad.

201131-westbury.jpg

Back