442     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 604     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 502     0 

A Few Pics From GO Train 2 Days Ago

C

cassiusa

Here's a few pictures I took from the Lakeshore East GO line on my way into work two days ago.

The City
City.jpg

Dowtown Core
Core.jpg

Same as above but close-up
Core2.jpg

St Laurence Market
StLaurence.jpg

StLaurence2.jpg

My favourite. Up Yonge Street. Quite the canyon effect.
Yonge.jpg

Sorry there's not more. The rest weren't really worth posting.

In my daily commute on the Lakeshore east train, I have noticed the amazing impact Spire and ROCP are making. I just wish BA would get going soon, because the main cluster is in serious need of a tower to blend it in better with the "tail" of 400-500ft skyscrapers that continue on as far as the eyes see...

Nice shots. Though I'm a bit concerned about the UFOs over the Rogers HQ. Have they mistaken it for City Hall? Take me to your leader.

Ted Rogers is more powerful than any politician.

On another note, are there any plans for that parking lot south of St. Lawrence Market. Though a parking lot is probably better than that ugly-looking supersized shed thing that was there before :lol

^ Isn't that parking lot for the Market expansion? When I was there last summer I saw pictures in the old market building. What is the status of this project?

There's two lots that make up that parking lot. The one directly south of the market is city land that is zoned for parkland believe it or not. The plan is to use it temporarily as the farmers market while they redevelop the north market site. Once the north market is redone this lot would become parkland.

The south part of the lot is the former Gross Machinery lands. The Gross family wants to put a Shoppers Drug Mart there. There's a thread here somewhere that goes into detail on it.

There's two lots that make up that parking lot. The one directly south of the market is city land that is zoned for parkland believe it or not.
I guess the desire is to extend the linear David Crombie Park a little further west. However, in reality, it'll be pretty isolated from the rest of the park (although could provide a decent space for St. Lawrence patrons to eat, etc.)

The Gross family wants to put a Shoppers Drug Mart there.
I think the Shopper's Drug Mart proposal is more or less considered an interim use for the site (probably until the next big cycle in 10 years or so).

It is an extension of Crombie Park. I think they were playing a fountain/skating rink kind of thing.

And Shoppers is certainly a shorter term idea. I think they figure to make a lot more off the land if they hold on for a while longer.

I think the Shopper's Drug Mart proposal is more or less considered an interim use for the site (probably until the next big cycle in 10 years or so).

We often think that these buildings are short term i.e. 10years. But with teh current tax code it will take longer than that to write down the asset. That significantly drives up the cost to any potential condo developer. Once built buildings stay for awhile.

I used to do that commute two summers ago. I think what you photographed was the best five minutes of my day.

1KW didn't come out that bad now, did it?

i was standing at the market the other day thinking a park would be great for that spot.

Good ol. Lakeshore East. I'll try and get some good shots of the West Don Lands demo later this week. Nice shots Cass.

Gross Machinery Parking Lot

I am looking for the location of The Gross Machinery parking lot from th 1950's. As a teenager we used to fly model airplanes there. Can you help me.
kenk1939

Back