Toronto Etobicoke Civic Centre | 75.82m | 16s | CreateTO | Henning Larsen

Which of the four entries in the Etobicoke Civic Centre design competition do you favour?

• Team 1: Moriyama + Teshima, MJMA, FORREC

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • Team 2: Diamond Schmitt Architects, Michael Van Valkenberg Associates

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • Team 3: KPMB Architects, West 8

Votes: 42 39.3%
  • Team 4: Henning Larsen, Adamson Associates, PMA Landscape Architects

Votes: 22 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anonymous0024

Member Bio
Reaction score
Don't believe this has been posted here yet.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-s...o-central-etobicoke-on-vacant-westwood-lands/

Last week, the YMCA announced plans for the multi-year Strong Start, Great Future fundraising campaign, with the goal of raising $250 million towards the construction of 10 new centres across the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) by 2020. David Layton, vice-president of asset development and real estate at the YMCA of Greater Toronto, said Etobicoke was an “obvious, obvious†choice for one of those 10 locations.

“Looking at Etobicoke, it’s a diverse community whether you’re talking about income or ethnicity or activity, and we want to have impact on the whole range of community we’re serving, so it’s just an ideal place for the Y to be,†he said in an interview with The Guardian this week.

Located at the corner of Dundas Street West and Kipling Avenue, the proposed 60,000 square-foot facility would provide recreational programming and services to more than 8,100 people, helping a community in which nearly 52 per cent of the population report being physically inactive – and nearly 20 per cent are obese or overweight – adopt healthier and more active lifestyles.

While Layton said likely features in the Etobicoke centre will include a pool, gym, youth and children’s activity ‘zones’, multi-purpose meeting rooms, child-minding facilities, and fitness studios, he also noted that the YMCA actively engages the communities in which it builds to get a sense of the facilities residents want and need.

“All of our major facilities all have a list of common features, but for the sizes and the mixes and then the programs that operate within those...we really look to connect and engage with the community to make sure that we get the mix right for the demands, needs and interests of the community,†he said. “We want this to be the community’s YMCA.â€

While there is no concrete construction timeline in place, the Etobicoke YMCA is anticipated to be open in 2017/2018 – a goal that has been greatly aided by the help of the local city councillor, Layton said.

I doubt any development will occur on the Westwood Lands. There are a lot of dependencies on the reconfiguration of the current six points mess and with the crumbling of the Gardiner Expressway, I am confident to say that this is going to be very low priority.

The current councilor of Ward 5 has emphasized that the land is worth more than the actual cost of reconfiguring the six points, but I feel that if we were to ever sell some of the property (most likely for condo developments) the money will go towards the Gardiner Expressway.

Sorry Mike, but you're not reading the signs correctly.

Peter Milczyn is pushing for a YMCA to go ahead on the Westwood lands, and he wants in under construction within 2 years. I don't know how much of the property is being eyed for the complex, but I suppose we will learn that in coming weeks as plans are finalized; it would only be a portion of it.

The Westwood Theatre building is expected to be demolished sometime early in 2013.

Funds obtained from the sale of the site would go into general City coffers, not directly to any particular project. One expects, meanwhile, that the City would be on the hook for some costs incurred to service the site, some of which would be recouped through development charges.

Sorry Mike, but you're not reading the signs correctly.

Peter Milczyn is pushing for a YMCA to go ahead on the Westwood lands, and he wants in under construction within 2 years. I don't know how much of the property is being eyed for the complex, but I suppose we will learn that in coming weeks as plans are finalized; it would only be a portion of it.

The Westwood Theatre building is expected to be demolished sometime early in 2013.

Funds obtained from the sale of the site would go into general City coffers, not directly to any particular project. One expects, meanwhile, that the City would be on the hook for some costs incurred to service the site, some of which would be recouped through development charges.

Here's hoping. I think Mr. Milcyn is doing a great job but we need less money going into studies and more money going into developing this particular land, including Islington Subway land. A lot was supposed to happen back in 2007. The only change I've seen is the demolition of the Legion building, which only occurred so that Tridel can open its sales centre for the new condos being built north of the Islington Subway land. Yay for more condos!!!!!

I can't even get parking at my local Grocery store :( and it is too far to walk there.

Last edited:
Here's hoping. I think Mr. Milcyn is doing a great job but we need less money going into studies and more money going into developing this particular land, including Islington Subway land. A lot was suppose to happen back in 2007. The only change I've seen is the demolition of the Legion building, which only ocurred so that Tridel can open its sales centre for the new condos being built north of the Islington Subway land. Yay for more condos!!!!!

I can't even get parking at my local Grocery store :( and it is too far to walk there.

Sorry if I went off topic :). Anyways I am excited for an outdoor swimming pool (maybe saltwater??). I hope it gets built within the next few years.

mike, how do you know tridel is going to open its sales centre for new condos where the canadian legion building was demolished? i am wondering what is really gonna happen there?? it would be good to see islington commuters parking lots GONE!

mike, how do you know tridel is going to open its sales centre for new condos where the canadian legion building was demolished? i am wondering what is really gonna happen there?? it would be good to see islington commuters parking lots GONE!

I heard it from Mr. Milczyn.

I heard it from Mr. Milczyn.

I am not a big fan of the commuter parking lots either but I was hoping we would get more than just condos. Cordova lands + Islington Subway lands (with a wide pedestrian bridge above the train tracks) would have been perfect for something similar to shops at don mills or what they are planning to build in humber town village with a mix of condos, offices, shops, and a much needed grocery store.

I am not a big fan of the commuter parking lots either but I was hoping we would get more than just condos. Cordova lands + Islington Subway lands (with a wide pedestrian bridge above the train tracks) would have been perfect for something similar to shops at don mills or what they are planning to build in humber town village with a mix of condos, offices, shops, and a much needed grocery store.

Shops at islington.... That would be really nice. I assume tridel will settle for low rise condos on his huge part of the lands, and really need grocery store developed in the area!! What is the realistic time frame for the sales to begin developing to begin selling? Probably 2020s...

The Six Points Reconfiguration Study is at the Design Review Panel right now, looking mostly at the streetscape plan. The YMCA is still expected to be the first building to be built here. It's proposed for the southeast corner of Dundas and Kipling.

Last edited:
I couldn't get a picture from the bus, but there was something going on here today. Excavators and such on site. Anyone know if this has to do with the Six Points reconfiguration or something else?

Back