News   Mar 28, 2024
 372     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 724     0 

Royal Oak Inn (376 Dundas East @ Ontario St, 3s) COMPLETE

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
Dundas and Ontario. Boy, I never would've seen this coming. Let's hope they restore the building.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 2A5

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 109767 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Jan 22, 2013

Project: Multiple-Use Building Conversion

Description: Proposal to convert existing building into a motel "Motel 6".

Capture6.JPG

Wow, a motel 2 blocks away from Toronto's most dangerous intersection. (Dundas & Sherbourne) It's another good sign of change, for that troubled neighbourhood.

Wow, a motel 2 blocks away from Toronto's most dangerous intersection. (Dundas & Sherbourne) It's another good sign of change, for that troubled neighbourhood.

Although maybe a motel at this location would be a very, very bad idea? Not sure what to think...:confused:

Hopefully, they actually do a decent job restoring the building. Although it appears to be poorly maintained throughout the years, the house still features fine Victorian detailing especially the Second Empire style roof. Motel 6 conjures up image of discount road trip stops, suburban locations, and cookie cutter architectural finishes. I wouldn't be surprised to see a cheap stucco makeover. (Hopefully that won't be the case)

Not a good location for a motel. It will only further cheapen the area. What kind of people live in motels?
A nondescript 30 storey glass condo tower is better than the idea of a Motel 6 here.

Although it appears to be poorly maintained throughout the years,

*But*, it's in a lot better shape than the Bay Street Bedbug Chamber was before its present reno. (Which leaves one crossing one's fingers that that's not the kind of hackjob forthcoming)

I suspect this Motel will be like the Comfort Inn on Jarvis Street, it will have no parking.

comment on the proposal, and don't comment on me.
It is juvenile to be so hostile to someone with a different view.

I don't see how you can categorize that comment as "so hostile". You've made it well known that anything under a few stories is a waste of space and your comment didn't fail to continue that narrative.

Why would a 30 storey nondescript glass tower be better? First it's a tiny site, it simply wouldn't fit. I'm all for increased density and it isn't too far from the core, but that's just unrealistic.

And do you really think the existing building, if properly restored, doesn't possess any architectural merit?

I'll agree that a motel isn't the ideal use here, however it'll be an improvement over the decrepit (and empty?) state it's currently in.

I don't see how you can categorize that comment as "so hostile". You've made it well known that anything under a few stories is a waste of space and your comment didn't fail to continue that narrative.

Why would a 30 storey nondescript glass tower be better? First it's a tiny site, it simply wouldn't fit. I'm all for increased density and it isn't too far from the core, but that's just unrealistic.

And do you really think the existing building, if properly restored, doesn't possess any architectural merit?

I'll agree that a motel isn't the ideal use here, however it'll be an improvement over the decrepit (and empty?) state it's currently in.

because a highrise condo will provide living space for those who want to live downown, while a motel, mostly catered to low budget young travellers and probably prostitutes, has the potential to make the area even worse.

The land is small, yes. but the land for RCMP condo is tiny too. If 30 storey is still too tall, a 15 storey condo or apartment with some ethnic restaurant is a good idea too. The last thing I want to see is a motel, or a Tim Horton's. Dundas and Sherbourne needs to revitalize, and building a motel 6 just means we want to keep the area poor.

What does motel mean again? it stands for motor-hotel. Doesn't really sound very compatible to downtown.

Back