Mississauga U of T: UTM North Building Reconstruction | ?m | 6s | U of T | Perkins&Will

Jasonzed

Member Bio
Reaction score
North Building addition...
20224_548116821871694_355240039_n.jpg

399297_548116881871688_1300054263_n.jpg

DSCF8607.jpg

dataBase page created. No other new renderings, sorry! Architect is Perkins + Will, who created the gorgeous Instructional Centre on the site recently. To be ready for classes fall 2014.

I used to detest the North Building but now I've grown up...love it! Very retro hot.

The vulgar mcmansions they're building across the street though...disgusting!

Agreed on all accounts. During my short stint at UTM I had a few classes in the North building and hated it. Looking back, though, the shell has a lot of potential and is definitely architecturally significant. I was a bit sad to see most of it go, but the replacement addition looks fantastic!

The McMansions in Mississauga Rd. have since become a point of reference that my friends and I use to define poor taste and the quantity over quality mentality that still prevails in the suburban built-form of 'Sauga.

Deerfield Hall helps accommodate student growth, transforms face of UTM campus

MISSISSAUGA, ON — The University of Toronto Mississauga today officially opened Deerfield Hall, the first phase of a redeveloped North Building that will help accommodate student enrolment growth and redefine the northern quadrant of campus.
The first phase of the two-phase reconstruction of the North Building features four storeys with improved theatre rehearsal space, computer labs, classrooms, offices, formal and informal study space and an expanded food services area. The Departments of Mathematical and Computational Sciences, Psychology, and English and Drama will have offices and research facilities in the renovated space. The North Building was the first structure built on the Erindale campus in 1967.
“The opening of Deerfield Hall is an important moment in the transformation of U of T Mississauga’s built environment,” says U of T president Meric Gertler. “It will help accommodate UTM’s development as a major comprehensive campus, and to support its role as a key engine of innovation and prosperity in Mississauga and well beyond.”
In June 2011, the provincial government announced $52.5 million in funding to renovate the North Building and teaching laboratories in the William G. Davis Building. U of T Mississauga contributed $22.5 million for a total project cost of $75 million.
“Deerfield Hall is a stunning addition to the University of Toronto Mississauga,” says Professor Deep Saini, vice-president of the University of Toronto and principal of U of T Mississauga. “With expanded and up-to-date wired and digital facilities, we can better meet the needs of our growing academic and administrative community. The quality of our built environment matched by the unparalleled natural beauty of campus will inspire and play a huge role in our students’ success.”
U of T Mississauga’s enrolment has more than doubled in the last 10 years, to almost 14,000 students. Current needs, combined with planned and eventual enrolment growth of up to 20,000 students, increases the demand for more and better learning spaces, Saini says.
“Ontario’s economic future is directly linked to our ability to be a global leader in postsecondary education, training, and in building a culture of research and entrepreneurship,” says Reza Moridi, minister of training, colleges and universities. “That’s why our government is proud to support projects like Deerfield Hall, which will provide students with a dynamic and innovative learning environment for years to come.”
The project team for the Deerfield Hall reconstruction consists of representatives from the University of Toronto, U of T Mississauga, Perkins + Will architects and Eastern Construction.

“Deerfield Hall is a stunning addition to the University of Toronto Mississauga,†says Professor Deep Saini, vice-president of the University of Toronto and principal of U of T Mississauga. “With expanded and up-to-date wired and digital facilities, we can better meet the needs of our growing academic and administrative community. The quality of our built environment matched by the unparalleled natural beauty of campus will inspire and play a huge role in our students’ success.â€

Good heavens. With hyperbole like that you'd think they had just transplanted Beinecke Rare or Phillips Exeter Library here...

But hey, it's got wifi!

Perhaps a new thread is in order as phase 2 of the North Building project inches closer to reality. Now known as North2, the funding proposal was brought to the province in the fall.

More info here: http://www.utm.utoronto.ca/main-news/update-utm-north-building-redevelopment-plans

My understanding is that North2 will see the demolition of the rest of the original North Building and will be a six story structure featuring twice the ammount of net assignable square meters (10 thousand versus Deerfield's 5 thousand).

Last edited:

Back