Toronto Livmore High Park | 81.99m | 25s | GWL | Zeidler

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Proposal details haven't been released yet but it appears that these rows of townhouses will be redeveloped for two new residential towers. 51 Quebec Ave is right north of High Park station. 66 High Park Ave is north of the existing apartment block.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=3275611

51 QUEBEC AVE

Ward 13 - Etob. York
OPA / Rezoning

This address covers 51 - 77 Quebec Avenue and 40 - 66 High Park Avenue. Propose to remove (2) blocks of townhouses and construct (2) new residential use only apartment buildings of Bldg A and B and a (2) storey amenity block building. (2) existing residential apartment towers to remain.

The neighbourhood has been full of rumours re: this project. Makes sense. Some of us are feeling nimbyish about it.... Ironic I know. I really wish more retail would be allowed in the area--rather than the convenience stores & hair salons. Think coffee shops, cafes, little bars, perhaps even a mid-sized grocery store.

It would also be nice if more retail was allowed on side streets in areas of similar density. Especially those located close to transit stations such as the high-rise clusters around St. Clair West and Yonge & Eg.

Looks like two 31 storey towers

CONDOMINIUM APARTMENT BLDGS, RETAIL
Proj: 9170976-1
Etobicoke, Metro Toronto Reg ON

PREPARING PLANS
51 Quebec Ave, M6P 2T3
$50,000,000 est

Note:.This project is preliminary. Application for rezoning has been submitted and is currently under review. Further update summer 2013.

Project:..construction of a development which will include two 31-storey condominium apartment buildings and a 2-storey amenity building. Existing townhouse buildings will be demolished but existing apartment towers will remain.

Scope: 335,000 square feet; 31 storeys; 3 structures; 610 units
Development: New
Category: apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services
From DCN....http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/...7f13d98637a7&projectid=9170976&region=ontario

It would also be nice if more retail was allowed on side streets in areas of similar density. Especially those located close to transit stations such as the high-rise clusters around St. Clair West and Yonge & Eg.

I agree that we could use more side streets with commercial storefronts to enliven the grid and make neighbourhoods more walkable. I like Kensington Market and Yorkville for the side streets that have retail. It's not like I'd want every street to be that way, but the strict dichotomy of side streets being single-use and avenues being mixed-use can be dull in its predictability and can leave large swaths of residential blocks fairly distant from retail in neighbourhoods like High Park.

I think there's certainly room for improvement. Not expecting miracles from P+S but High Park shouldn't be settling for designs that are circa 2005 NYCC. Considering the improvements that the Balliol Park apartment towers proposal have shown in its development process, there should be opportunities here to show gradual refinement.

Not sure how I feel about this, the area already has a lot of density, and although the existing townhomes are pretty crappy and don't provide much, I don't think something 31 storeys is required here. I would prefer something 10ish floors, no retail.

This area is a generally quiet residential area with good commercial areas within walking distance (BWV & Junction). The streets already have a decent amount of pedestrian traffic. Retail infusion in this area should really be concentrated along Bloor Street.

When I lived here, I had no problems walking to BWV & Junction to buy groceries and stuff.

I think this is so unattractive. Technically skilled designers, but without good taste and a stake in the neighbourhood, it's nothing more than a really bad idea. I hope it's just that - an idea. My advice would be to hire designers and architects who live in the neighbourhood. Main floor retail along this stretch of bloor would be nice.

Last edited:
Sorry, but yes, that's too much to ask for. That, which is this…

400-04452742w.jpg

…is from another context, as in both another age and place. They just don't build them like that, not anymore, and not here.

I'm not saying that means you have to accept the plan above.

Attachments

• 400-04452742w.jpg
    400-04452742w.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 3,185
I don't see why, using more cost effective materials, we cannot design beautiful buildings like the one above. I don't know why we need to mess up high park the way we did the water front... The 31 story building is so 2010... I know if you took a survey of high Parker's, I would be agreed with 9 to 1. :)

Last edited:
I don't see why, using more cost effective materials, we cannot design beautiful buildings like the one above. I don't know why we need to mess up high park the way we did the water front... The 31 story building is so 2010... I know if you took a survey of high Parker's, I would be agreed with 9 to 1. :)

This is 2013, not 1893. Sure, there are still some buildings that are built that ape the past, but they tend to be single family homes and some townhomes that line suburban housing tract streets, or there are the vulgar monster homes that replace the older, smaller homes in older neighbourhoods of Toronto where the new owners believe that they can buy taste. Architects, by in large, have moved on. The only thing that has come close to looking like what you want that has been built in the last decade in this city was One St. Thomas*, and it was one of the most expensive condos in the city… and it's still not as ornate as what you're talking about.

Back