Mississauga Square One Expansions and Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Oxford Properties | MMC Architecture

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Oxford Properties Group is making an application to the committee of adjustment on Thursday Jan 10 to build a 2 storey building between Sears and Target.

This will be interested to see if this application gets approve considering there is a bylaw in place to halt all construction in the city core until a study is completed sometime this year.

There is also plans to build more single storey building pads around the mall. One of those pads will be use to store salt which is no no at this time regardless of the bylaw.

If this 2 storey building is allow to be built as well the other pads, parking will become a mess. Time to beef up transit 7 days a week to this mall. Maybe the long over due parking structure will be built on the north side of Walmart.

This extension will go over the underground mall area, as well remove the loading bays that are there now. The entrance to the underground mall will have to be close during construction as well the main entrance including Sears if this expansion is to connect to it. Had not seen any plans for it yet.

It has been less than 10 years that the mall was redevelop to the point work has started by Target with the removal of columns and ceiling material. A few test section for the new roof columns went up in December.

The escalators are block off to the public now. Various section of the mall ceiling has been removed for most of 2012 to determine what was what at various locations.

The food court is to be expanded to the point Burger King close their doors Thursday night and Bowring removing the last of their items. The Sony store close in 2012 as well the church. Friday saw all 3 stores as well the walkway to the loading bay horded up in blue paint wall.

I was wondering when they'd finally build the second floor here. Although does the 2s include the lower level that's there now? Or will there be two levels atop that?

Here is the link to the agenda: http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/CofAAgendaJan10_2013.pdf

See page 12

I wonder that myself.

I could see them digging the whole area up and rebuilding the lower level and add one floor at grade to match the rest of the area.

I cannot seeing them connecting to Target at this time, then I could be wrong.

Until some plans surface, its a guessing game at this time.

Just to confirm... Target is the former Zellers, across from the bus station, yes? (Haven't been to SQ1 for a while, but I used to be a real mall rat there in younger days...)

Is it at all feasible for Oxford to redevelop the entire property by building a new multi-storied mall on one portion of the site (along with stacked parking), then selling off the rest for office and condo development? This is such a massive site right in the heart of Mississauga; I can't help but feel that it's a big waste of space. They could build an entire urban core on top of that property.

Is it at all feasible for Oxford to redevelop the entire property by building a new multi-storied mall on one portion of the site (along with stacked parking), then selling off the rest for office and condo development? This is such a massive site right in the heart of Mississauga; I can't help but feel that it's a big waste of space. They could build an entire urban core on top of that property.

If the will is there, yes this mall can not only increase in size, but on less space. It can become the 2nd largest mall like it was at one time in Canada again.

I posted some time ago an idea of rebuilding the mall as well building for 150,000 employment jobs and 250,000 residents. It a city within a city with its own schools, park, garden, playground, sports, entertainment and a transit hub to handle 150,000 riders daily.

All parking is underground for 20% of the need for parking standards. No surface traffic on Sq One land, but a road grid will exist for emergency needs, but mostly for pedestrians and shopping.

Need $3.5-$5B to to build this city over 20 years or less.

I would start building the new mall/office/residents on the north side of Walmart to Sq One Dr/City Centre and Sears with 8 levels of underground parking and new loading bays as part of phase 1. A ramp will be built at Sq One Dr off City Centre to get to the underground parking.

Phase 2 would see Walmart, the parking structure and part of the existing mall replace with more mall/office/residents connecting to phase 1. The current road in front of the mall will disappear, but City Centre Dr stays as is.

Walmart, and the pads north of Sq One drive would move into Phase 1. That pad area would become part of the next mall/office/residents complex with underground parking along with a new transit hub in the north-east corner.

When these 2 other phases are completed, the rest of the existing mall is history and you keep moving west to Duke of York.

A new ramp to parking will be built at Robert Speck as well from Rathburn where the current road is and will line up with the road to the south.

The transit Hub would be built to handle double deck EMU's, subway, BRT, LRT and buses, including tour buses.

Station Gates will be extended south to City Centre once the bus terminal is relocated including Go, with a ramp to the underground parking at both ends.

The Downtown 21 plan for this land fails on many fronts, but mostly it still focus on cars with on street parking. No need for on street parking at all.

If my plan every got off the ground, it would put the city on the map on all fronts. I will not add or give away what would really put the city on the map for, but real bold thinking.

Talked to my friend who works at Square One. He knew about the expansion and the new food court and about the other stores coming in (all the empty spots popping up now). He seemed excited about the new stores, but he said they had had to sign an NDA so couldn't tell me anything I didn't already know, unfortunately.

I took some pics just of the hoarding where Bowring, the hallway/church, Burger King and the Sony store used to be.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-6Ca2qFd522aTRhSXpNWjl4TjA

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-6Ca2qFd522anVxTXRxSVY3TEE

Excuse the poor quality of the pics.

The committee of adjustment gave Oxford approval to build the salt dome in the north-west parking lot by City View and Confederation as well for the Farmer Maket in the south lot for the next 5 years only as recommend by the city. The Farmer Market change was requested but the city to make things legal.

The committee also approved the change to the interim bylaw for the expansion of the mall.

I have requested copy of the renders of the expansion and will post them once I get them.

The current lower level will be redevelop as level one with a single level between Sear and Target as I suspected.

The top level will come out to a new sidewalk on Sq One drive lining up with the current walls of Target and Sears. The current entrance to Target will remain as is with a new mall entrance beside it along the lines of the one by the movie theater.

This section will see store front entrance on Sq One Dr with a restaurant, retail and valet parking. Fancy roof over by Sears.

Plans are to come forth this summer for approval and expect to see construction underway in 2014 and opening in 2015. Look for major shifting/relocation for the current lower level retail this fall or sooner.

It looks like the existing escalators by Target are being rebuilt 100% or going to be move, as they are strip to the support frame now. Most of the ceiling has been removed down by Target.

On Retail Insider people are speculating on the stores that will come.

Forever XXI and Hollister were mentioned.

I could see both these stores coming.

Forever XXI because the Square One Facebook page mentioned they were trying to get them.

Hollister just because if Bramalea has it, no reason Square One shouldn't. Abercrombie wouldn't be out of place at Square One either, so I imagine both would come.

Other than that though, I can't really think of much. Maybe a Pottery Barn?

Anyone able to calculate roughly how much square footage would be on that upper level between Target and Sears?

phone pictures: q1 renovations
Mississauga-20130111-00145.jpg

Mississauga-20130111-00142.jpg

Mississauga-20130111-00144.jpg

Mississauga-20130111-00143.jpg

Site area
DSCF8372.jpg

Are the renders of the new section or just some random reno'd section?

Reno section. The upper and lower floors near Target are being renovated. The new food court will be where Burger King and the Sony Store once stood and will extend to the underground Sears entrance and next to Tim Horton's on the other side.

Reno section. The upper and lower floors near Target are being renovated. The new food court will be where Burger King and the Sony Store once stood and will extend to the underground Sears entrance and next to Tim Horton's on the other side.

Are you sure about that?

I don't see how the food court could extend that far....that'd be huge!

Back