1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.4K     6 

Le Nordelec Condos - Montreal

ChesterCopperpot

Member Bio
Reaction score
Saw this proposal today - and it looks fantastic

Le Nordelec is the renovation (and conversion into lofts) of an old industrial building in Ponte-Saint-Charles - 280-ish suites in all

8183209477_51f74f9567_b.jpg

8182962025_5d0d1dc733_b.jpg

More pictures here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24657061@N05/sets/72157630159817078/with/8183209477/

The original building

8074869253_ceabfef54a_b.jpg

Stunning reuse of otherwise abandoned industrial buildings. Similar projects in Toronto, but not to this scale.

Stunning reuse of otherwise abandoned industrial buildings. Similar projects in Toronto, but not to this scale.

I'm not quite sure what's new and what's old in the rendering. The facade with the ornamentation is obviously old, but what about the rectilinear wings without ornamentation? How does the heritage component compare to the scale of the converted Merchandise Building at 93,000 square metres (over 1 million square feet)?

I'm not quite sure what's new and what's old in the rendering. The facade with the ornamentation is obviously old, but what about the rectilinear wings without ornamentation? How does the heritage component compare to the scale of the converted Merchandise Building at 93,000 square metres (over 1 million square feet)?

Good call on the Merchandise building. Looks like this project covers an entire city block. It will definately fit with the whole Griffintown redevelopment project.

I can answer that question - I live across the street from this project, in another massive industrial conversion, The Redpath Lofts (former Redpath Sugar, which ironically relocated to Toronto.) The ration of new to old construction will be about 40/60 - the Nordelec complex is HUGE - a massive city block. The building was at one time the largest all-bring structure in North America. The 60% that is original is still used as office space, and it has a really nice authentic industrial feel inside.

With respect to the renderings - well, they are (as with most renderings) a not entirely accurate interpretation. For instance - the first image you posted makes the street front appear to be a wide, 4 lane road. In fact it's a narrow 2 lane street...The sideswalks are also made to look disproportionately large on both sides.

Back