Toronto Church of Scientology | ?m | 8s

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
According to a sign on the window they have vacated the building and moved to a temporary location at 77 Peter St. They've posted a rendering and it looks pretty decent with red and silver as the main colours. I think there's a pic of it floating around in some thread but I can't remember where.

I have seen some of their new buildings in the states. They are pretty impressive buildings. I'm sure this one wont be cheap either! They have all kinds of money, Scientology actually uses a very sophisticated formula to determine the amount of cash necessary to rid yourself of the evil Thetans. $250,000, will make you invincible, which will come in handy when the evil Lord Xenu and his spaceship comes to reign over earth.

Finally! That building is really ugly.

I disagree. It's not terribly remarkable, but it's got good bones and nice, clean lines. It needs a lot of love, but I've always thought it would be great to see a sensitive refurbishment (111 Richmond-style) done here. I assume the Scientology re-do will be about as subtle as John Travolta's scenery-chewing in Battlefield Earth.

scientology1.jpg

Last edited:
I disagree. It's not terribly remarkable, but it's got good bones and nice, clean lines. It needs a lot of love, but I've always thought it would be great to see a sensitive refurbishment (111 Richmond-style) done here. I assume the Scientology re-do will be about as subtle as John Travolta's scenery-chewing in Battlefield Earth.
I don't like that old building either. However, I'm not optimistic the new building will be much better. I like the colour, but the design seems similar in many ways (aside from the crosses and the sign), and after 3 years I wonder if it will look just as tired as the old building does now. I'm no design guy though.

P.S. I used to live in the building next to it. I used to get a pamphlets telling me psychiatrists are evil and that if I'm on meds I should stop them and join Scientology.

Luckily, I haven't had the pleasure of watching Battlefield Earth.

I know this might sound silly to some because they think religion is silly to begin with... That being said as a Christian I do not appreciate the "scientologists" using the Christian symbol of a Cross as its logo and I don't appreciate the use of the word "Church" in their title. They don't believe in Jesus and every religion except scientology has its own term for their religious places, mosque, temple, synagogue, church. Its not right that they are using socially accepted names and symbols to make their religion appear like its on the up and up..

The building is an improvement though.

Its not right that they are using socially accepted names and symbols to make their religion appear like its on the up and up..

All religions do this, such as christianity.

Leave the building alone and move elsewhere, like Newmarket or something.

That looks absolutely hideous, this is a future eyesore in the making. I like the existing building. All it needs is proper restoration, and we've got ourselves a quiet modernist gem.

Last edited:
I know this might sound silly to some because they think religion is silly to begin with... That being said as a Christian I do not appreciate the "scientologists" using the Christian symbol of a Cross as its logo and I don't appreciate the use of the word "Church" in their title. They don't believe in Jesus and every religion except scientology has its own term for their religious places, mosque, temple, synagogue, church. Its not right that they are using socially accepted names and symbols to make their religion appear like its on the up and up..

The building is an improvement though.

They want people to think of Scientology as a religion and not the crazy, money grabbing cult it actually is. The Mormon cult believes in Jesus yet they find the cross offensive, instead of wearing crosses they have their sacred symbols on their temple garments aka magical underwear.

I also think the building is an improvement. I like the ground level and red colour, it will brighten the corner up and no doubt get people's attention!!

Back