1.4K     1 
News   Mar 26, 2024
 744     0 

Toronto Christmas Market in the Distillery District

Arob

Member Bio
Reaction score
4edc434b64b9e_site.jpg

Embrace the sights, sounds and delicious smells of the holiday season at the Toronto Christmas Market.
8236300940_ed9d65539d.jpg

The market happens in the Distillery District 55 Mil St from last day of November, untill the middle of December each year
The holiday festival will see the thirteen acre historic property filled with Christmas cheer!
Visit the Toronto Christmas Market website for more information.
8235235125_ec508e8da9.jpg

Post your photos here and in the photo contest. Enjoy

Visited the Distillery the day after the Christmas Market closed. It was great, got to see the tree and decorations without the insane crowds, ridiculous entrance fee (don’t charge me to sell me your stuff, instead charge the vendors a % of sales) and the over emphasis on retail/consumerism. We had a great day out.

They should ask the German company, Käthe Wohlfahrt, to open a Canadian store in the Distillery District. May not reach the scale of Rothenburg ob der Tauber, but they could become an anchor store.

Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber-21.jpg

Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber-31.jpg

Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber-11.jpg

Interesting; they have only one store in North America; in Minnesota of all places.

But they are across Germany, have one store in the UK, as well as Brussels and Barcelona.

Cancelled.

I have three friends that live separately in the Distillery District, all of which moved in before the inaugural event, and each say they’re not displeased to see the Christmas market take a break. One says she’s been wanting the market relocated for years.

Nope. Leave it where it is. I love it and distillery is a great place for it.
I defer to the residents of the neighbourhood. They don’t live in an amusement park or parade grounds. I live in Cabbagetown and for one weekend a year we close up Parliament St. and have a festival. It’s great fun and a wonderful way to meet your neighbours and to celebrate the area, but if it went on for weeks I’d want it gone.

Us outsiders like the Distillery District for the festival because of its superficial Dickensian themes, but this is where people live, it’s their backyard. I’d say poll the residents, ask them if they want this commercial exercise in their neighbourhood. Even better, after a year‘s (or two?) break due to Covid, ask the residents if they missed the market and if they want it to come back.

Last edited:
Thankfully nothing will happen to the Christmas Market because many of the owners in the Distillery District are investors who don't live in the area, and those who rent in these condos will simply move out when they are tired of living there.

Those investors surely want the Christmas Market there for the value it brings to the local property market.

Thankfully nothing will happen to the Christmas Market because many of the owners in the Distillery District are investors who don't live in the area, and those who rent in these condos will simply move out when they are tired of living there.

Those investors surely want the Christmas Market there for the value it brings to the local property market.
I'd be wary of being grateful to absent property owners for supporting things that benefit their asset values. The better measure is if it benefits the residents.

I'd be wary of being grateful to absent property owners for supporting things that benefit their asset values. The better measure is if it benefits the residents.
It's not a usual stance that I would advertise in other investor-condo filled areas of the downtown, but I think Toronto would lose more from losing the Christmas Market at the Distillery District than local residents (who chose to move to the area after the Christmas Market was established) would gain.

I think Toronto would lose more from losing the Christmas Market at the Distillery District than local residents (who chose to move to the area after the Christmas Market was established) would gain.
IDK if my trio of friends who bought into the neighbourhood in the early 2000s were consulted before the big US-based Lowe’s retailer launched its Christmas market in 2009. Speaking for myself, I‘d like to be asked before some foreign corporate giant wanted to turn my neighbourhood into a seasonal commercial enterprise.

But anyway, I’d say the Christmas market is here to stay.

Last edited:
I remember some of my high school trips for art/photography class to the Distillery District circa 2004-08. Back then the area felt like a complete island among the overall urban fabric of the east of downtown area, surrounded by oceans of parking lots. Condos eventually were constructed to help provide a gateway on the NW and eastern edges of the area, and retail improved within the historical spaces.

I'd say the popularity among the entire district has been quite meteoric throughout the entire 2010's decade, and that the romanticism of the area has been elevated to new heights. The boost has been two-pronged. Between the increased immediate residential population from the condos, and seasonal attractions of the Christmas Market and throughout the year. In turn, the popularity of the market has created a reciprocated appeal to the ownership of real estate of the area and retail tenants. The emergence of Pan-Am village and then into Canary District has further integrated the area into a more well rounded urban neighbourhood.

Last edited:

Back