News   Apr 23, 2024
 941     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 504     0 

Value of 2nd bathroom

stellab

Member Bio
Reaction score
Can anyone give an estimate of the value in terms of price of a 2nd bathroom in a condo -- either a guest bath or a full bath? Thanks

cost ranges from $5,000-10,000; value, however, is subjective.

in some of these pre-con projects where they try to squeeze 2 bedrooms and 2 baths in spaces under 750 sq ft, i feel that ~50 sq ft (size of 1 bath) could be better distributed to the living spaces like bedrooms and LR/DR.

i've read comments from others who appreciate having the extra bath so there's no 'fighting' for it during the morning, etc. but some of us and our parents grew up with only 1 bath and we managed.

A second bathroom is nice when you have a den that is large enough to be a bedroom, that arrangement is ideal for a guest bedroom/bath.
But I wouldn't want to waste valueable floor area for a second bathroom if the unit is less than 700 sq.ft.

I found it very interesting that most of the units at 10 York have powder rooms, even though most don't have a room sized den or even a den at all. I think it's great when you have company over, but when these units are in the 500-600 sq.ft. range I think it's a waste of space.
Their main bathrooms are rather small and have half-sized vanities, so I'm guessing the powder room would be for the significant other.

I grew up in a large household, and we managed with one bathroom for sure. However, that doesn't seem to be the norm any longer. When we sold our house a couple of years ago, one of the issues cited by potential purchasers was that there was no ensuite. It seems that families just don't want to share these days :) And I have to say that I appreciate two bathrooms. Not sure how much value it adds dollar wise though.

I wonder if a 2 bed/2 bath condo would be more attractive to investors in getting renters (2 people in the unit) Other than that, I would echo the comments that its nice to have powder room for when guests come over.

I think in a 1+1, 1 washroom is best. washroom + power room is a luxury. Not needed but nice to have. In a 2 bedroom, 1 washroom + powder room is probably minimum to avoid having to fight over it. 2 washrooms would be a luxury. Not really necessary but nice to have.

A second bathroom is nice when you have a den that is large enough to be a bedroom, that arrangement is ideal for a guest bedroom/bath.
But I wouldn't want to waste valueable floor area for a second bathroom if the unit is less than 700 sq.ft.

I found it very interesting that most of the units at 10 York have powder rooms, even though most don't have a room sized den or even a den at all. I think it's great when you have company over, but when these units are in the 500-600 sq.ft. range I think it's a waste of space.
Their main bathrooms are rather small and have half-sized vanities, so I'm guessing the powder room would be for the significant other.
Agreed. In a 600 sq. ft. condo, having a second bathroom isn't necessarily a good use of space IMO.

Agreed. In a 600 sq. ft. condo, having a second bathroom isn't necessarily a good use of space IMO.

Most of the problems in my tiny 2 person condo were eliminated by installing a large mirror outside of the bathroom.

Second bathroom is still a luxury, not a necessity. For families of four or more members it's a good thing. Sure, we had only one bathroom when I was kid, but it wasn't peachy and yeah, there was usually a lot of waiting and even yelling in the morning, but we managed :) But If I'd ever have a family, I would prefer two bathroom if possible, it is still an added value and less stressing after all.

I've recently come across this issue as well. I've been looking at floor plans for a development around Spadina and one of them has the option of a second bathroom. The den is definitely big enough to warrant a bedroom so it'd be 2br and 2bath. The unit is about 600sq. ft. so it really isn't the best use of space. My friend and I got into a discussion about whether or not the second bathroom would add any actual value seeing as I agree with most of you, I too grew up sharing with a household of five. From what you guys are saying, it's more of a convenience as opposed to having any actual worth.

Stephen Duong
www.mycapitalcorner.com

I have come to understand one thing in this insane market. Young buyers love the shiny stuff. They'd rather have a Kenmore stainless steel appliance than a Sub-Zero white one. Laminate floors instead of classic oak. Pot lights instead of chandeliers. All stuff that will be dated in a few years.

But second bathrooms are forever and totally worth it, depending on the type of unit you have.

If you think you will sell this place to a young couple, then go for it.

If not, don't bother.

I have come to understand one thing in this insane market. Young buyers love the shiny stuff. They'd rather have a Kenmore stainless steel appliance than a Sub-Zero white one. Laminate floors instead of classic oak. Pot lights instead of chandeliers. All stuff that will be dated in a few years.

Haha, I have to admit it, I'm one of those young buyers who love the shiny stuff. I would like to think the trend will last longer than just a few years though.

Stephen Duong
www.mycapitalcorner.com

Back