Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

If I were the Thompson familly, I'd wait another 10 years before selling. The area should be a new Yorkville by then and extremely expensive--so Thompson's, hang on and screw the Freed's of the world for every last penny...:)

Have to day UD, you nailed it with this comment from 4 years ago.

good point PE, not sure which one he means...

Why would they sell this site? This is underway and going to be their headquarters. It would be the surplus land they will have once they move.

So once they build the new Globe building what happens to the current Globe building? I assume it will be torn down, but does anyone know what will go in there?

Presumably they are talking about the old site that was to be sold to Mattamy. If it is RioCan/Freed going in we can presume good looking condos and ugly retail.

So once they build the new Globe building what happens to the current Globe building? I assume it will be torn down, but does anyone know what will go in there?

The deal is for the existing site (where the current Globe and Mail bldg is now). Once the G+M moves into their new bldg, RioCan and Allied will redevelop the old site:

"Two real estate investments trusts are in talks to buy a large piece of property that is the current home of The Globe and Mail, in a sign that retail and office developers remain optimistic about projects in downtown Toronto despite a slowdown in the condominium market."
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ye-deal-for-globe-office-site/article5009446/

Presumably they are talking about the old site that was to be sold to Mattamy. If it is RioCan/Freed going in we can presume good looking condos and ugly retail.

HP has produced some conceptual character sketches for previous/failed purchase attempt.
I find them interesting. New owners might be interested in some re-use.
G+M1.jpg
G+M2.jpg
G+M3.jpg

Attachments

• G+M1.jpg
    G+M1.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 68,056
  • G+M2.jpg
    G+M2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 66,876
  • G+M3.jpg
    G+M3.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 66,307
Last edited:
^

Beautiful and sophisticated work cogito ergo. I can only hope something as well thought out and creative is built there.

That looks amazing, very Distillery District, or Tjuvholmen in Oslo if it had any tall towers. It's a little denser than what we're used to in Toronto, but if built, this would be a great place to live (except for the noise from any possible pubs) and work, and also a destination in itself.

Back