209     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Superstorm Sandy's Effect on Toronto

someMidTowner

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Member Bio
Reaction score
So I was really skeptical about the media frenzy over this "superstorm" until now. I just had to tie down the chairs on my condo balcony because they were bouncing around, there have been rolling blackouts all evening and the storm has barely made landfall in the US. This could get really messy for the folks in the beaches area (which are prone to flooding), not to mention all the construction sites throughout the GTA (I'm sure most of you have seen the dangling crane at NYC's ONE57 Skyscraper).
There is already a woman dead in Toronto from flying debris and over 6000 in the city are without power.
Thoughts?

Not really worried. I have no balcony, but I do have power and lots of booze.

1646066347aa826b105c9b80c708.jpg

A woman in her 50s died from a piece of the Staples signage that fell on her in the Junction.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...lled-by-flying-piece-of-sign-at-keele-st-plaz

UPDATE #2

TFD has just issued an "URGENT URGENT URGENT
for all fire crew to move away from the front of the building "structure collapsing"

Last edited:
First, I hope no one is hurt, most important thing. There's a couple of historic buildings there at Peter Street no?

First, I hope no one is hurt, most important thing. There's a couple of historic buildings there at Peter Street no?

Its just the roots building that was effected from what I can tell ... none of the nearby buildings.

But I really hope it doesn't share the same fate as the fire close to Bathurst, that is an empty site for years ... that'd be very disappointing, and I imagine this one will need to be teared down.

Its just the roots building that was effected from what I can tell ... none of the nearby buildings.

But I really hope it doesn't share the same fate as the fire close to Bathurst, that is an empty site for years ... that'd be very disappointing, and I imagine this one will need to be teared down.

This is a very desirable retail strip. It'll get filled in pretty quickly I think. The Queen/Bathurst buildings were low rent stores. There'll be an incentive to rebuild and there should be no shortage of suiters.

So Silver Snail didn't collapse? Only the Roots building? Either way, Silver Snail moved out just in time!

Back