News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Urban Shocker update

buildup

Member Bio
Reaction score
Would it be possible to get clarification on circumstances around Shocker's ban? I may be wrong, I'm not an expert user of this site, but my impression is he was banned recently. The ban may have been lifted, but he has not bothered to resume posting. I don't know whether my assumptions are correct. If they are I think the moderators should use more discretion exercising authority. US was one of our most insightful posters, his perspective was very academic and playful (sometimes arcane and impenetrable) but really raised the level of discourse. Also his POV was artistic whereas others coveresd trades, engineering, planning, financing or architecture. He was/is invariably good-natured and I'm going to guess an older fellow with an academic background. If he was banned by some 19-year old Mod, its a disgrace. This site cannot afford to lose contributors of his quality because readership could drop off if content drops off.

Anyway, some sort of uppdate or clarification would be appeciated. If I'm misinformed then...never mind.

Thank you.

Would it be possible to get clarification on circumstances around Shocker's ban? I may be wrong, I'm not an expert user of this site, but my impression is he was banned recently. The ban may have been lifted, but he has not bothered to resume posting. I don't know whether my assumptions are correct. If they are I think the moderators should use more discretion exercising authority. US was one of our most insightful posters, his perspective was very academic and playful (sometimes arcane and impenetrable) but really raised the level of discourse. Also his POV was artistic whereas others coveresd trades, engineering, planning, financing or architecture. He was/is invariably good-natured and I'm going to guess an older fellow with an academic background. If he was banned by some 19-year old Mod, its a disgrace. This site cannot afford to lose contributors of his quality because readership could drop off if content drops off.

Anyway, some sort of uppdate or clarification would be appeciated. If I'm misinformed then...never mind.

Thank you.
Agreed, one may not always agree with US but he is entertaining - certainly more so that those who send Twitter-like messages that add nothing to any discussion.

I agree with buildup. US is one of the reasons I visit this site. We want our Shocker back.

He is certainly welcome to come back. His temporary ban of only four days was to make clear that a long-running ad hominem battle, about which he had been warned, had to stop. Those rules apply for everybody: if we let him continue in that regard, we would have to let everyone do the same.

I am hoping he will return too.

Thanks for the response Interchange. We appreciate your efforts to keep discussions civil and you've succeeded in a reasonable fair-minded way. I had been my consistent impression that US was good natured, could take and return a good joke, but never seemed malicious or extreme.
Anyway, I'll leave it there.

I don't think there are any mods here close to 19. And banning is done by admins anyway. Mods just enforce rules and make edits, etc.

Too soon to speak of him in the past tense I hope. Shocker, if you happen to be reading this, do please come back.

Mods have the power to ban, but this awesome power is rarely used except for spam and bans. With the exception of trolls, most bans are of a temporary nature, and non-spam bans always come with a warning and are not decided by a single mod or admin.

Urban Shocker frankly crossed the line once too many times. I do look forward to his return, though.

The youngest moderator is in his late 20s, there's no teenage mods with their finger on the button, buildup.

Last edited:
Ran into him on the weekend.

He will be travelling abroad for a while, so if he will be posting in the future, it won't be for a while at least.

Back