News   Mar 28, 2024
 35     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 143     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 242     0 

Mark's Work Wearhouse: what happened to it?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I work in the construction products biz and need safety clothing for worksite visits, plant ops, etc. I go to my local Mark's store and I swear they've turned it into Eddie Bauer. The hardhats, steel toe boots, work gloves, coveralls, etc. are all in the back corner like some ugly sister, while the store is filled with office casual clothing. I buy all my work casual clothes online at Land's End, LL Bean, etc. so wouldn't think of going to Mark's for these things, but they've been my destination for work safety gear for years.

I have to think that some marketing guru has told them to abandon their base customer and to go after the office crowd. I guess I'll take my biz to http://www.mistersafetyshoes.ca/. I've also just discovered the safety stores next to the Blue Banana in Kensington Market.

The typical Mark's customer has shifted to women, so the stores are catering to them since they spend more. It seems to be working, as more and more people are shopping at Mark's than ever.

Yes i have noticed that too. Mark's has really scaled back on work wear and increased their business casual wear and women's wear. They carry the same kind of crap you can find at Sears.

Yes i have noticed that too. Mark's has really scaled back on work wear and increased their business casual wear and women's wear. They carry the same kind of crap you can find at Sears.

Actually that's not quite correct. Sears does not carry women's pants with a 34" inseam. Mark's is one of the few places (outside of specialty "tall" stores) that does. May not be important to you, but I and my ankle bones are eternally grateful.

Actually that's not quite correct. Sears does not carry women's pants with a 34" inseam. Mark's is one of the few places (outside of specialty "tall" stores) that does. May not be important to you, but I and my ankle bones are eternally grateful.

33-34" is pretty standard with many mid-range and higher end brands (denim, especially).

I think Marks is waking up to the reality that women are the bigger spenders and yet again guys get shafted. Walk through any mall and count the number of stores that cater to men's clothing only.

"Mark's" is definitely undergoing an image refresh but as far as I recall, Mark's Work Warehouse hasn't really focused on real work attire / gear for the past number of years. Let's just say that I've never considered going there to buy safety shoes.

I think I spoke too soon here. Yesterday I visited Marks at Eglinton and Warden and have to say I liked the store. They have some really good warm weather clothing. I bought a long sleeve insulated undershirt for my autumn motorcycle riding. I'm likely going to return for more stuff. The boots and guy wear are still up front. They even have a walk in freezer so you can test the cold weather gear - a pretty cool feature, no pun intended. That said, my wife had no interest in anything there, and I don't see her shopping there at all.

Best of all is a Marks is opening in Cabbagetown where the old dollar store was. I'm not sure they'll succeed, but I'll support them.

"Mark's" is definitely undergoing an image refresh but as far as I recall, Mark's Work Warehouse hasn't really focused on real work attire / gear for the past number of years. Let's just say that I've never considered going there to buy safety shoes.

Mark's broadened "work wear" to include "office work wear" perhaps 10-15 years ago and did quite well in that market. I do prefer their stuff to what you find at Sears for business casual clothing.

Yeah, the current ad campaign is a bit too feminine, they've had women's clothing for over a decade now anyway, and they do risk alienating their original core market. But you should find work clothing and boots still, and they do stock large sizes too. They just don't play it up anymore.

I remember Mark's in the 80's was very fashionable for teens (of which I was one). You could get Levis red-tab jeans and jackets for far cheaper than they were at The Bay or whatever. Workman Pants you would pin up along the seam. Lol. Yellow raincoats, wooly sweaters... all fashionable in the mid to late 80s.

I think the Marks location on Danforth Ave is closing as the store was completely empty except for guys moving around some fixtures when I walked by today...don't think it was a good location for them anyways

I think the Marks location on Danforth Ave is closing as the store was completely empty except for guys moving around some fixtures when I walked by today...don't think it was a good location for them anyways

Something new from Canadian Tire coming to this location.

Back