1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 634     0 

Fat Laden Favourites? - Top 5 Artery Cloggers

someMidTowner

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Member Bio
Reaction score
Figured I would start a thread regarding a topic I know a lot about: dangerously unhealthy (yet tasty) eats!

So here are my top picks of where to get greasy hands, meat sweats, heartburn and potentially diabetes...but in a tasty and comforting way :D
Not only am I going to tell you where to go. I am going to tell you what to try as well.

The Stockyards: You can't go wrong with a single thing on their menu - but what stands out to me is the Fried Chicken. Best in T.O if you ask me.

Smoke's Poutinerie: They have plenty of locations but I prefer Adelaide. Ask for a Pulled Pork Poutine - Extra Curd (warning: the large is virtually unfinishable)

Burrito Boyz: If you took my above advice on Smoke's on Adelaide, you might have noticed Burrito Boyz downstairs. I dare you to try and eat a "large steak burrito with the works" in one sitting

Burger's Priest: I prefer my burger from here served au naturale... It is rare I say this, but cheese and bacon are too much with a burger this greazzy.

WVRST: Great beer selection and the best Sausages in T.O. I suggest Boerewors or Chorizo with a pint of Urquell and some Dirty Duck Fries.

I would love to hear back about everyone else's top 5 artery cloggers!

Last edited:
Oh, I love this thread already

I've always had a soft spot for Vesta Lunch, at Bathurst and Dupont. A single, long bar, with low-stools under neon-lights. The cook is ancient and the owner is the meanest looking, buzz-cut Portuguese lady with a heart of gold. The place feels and looks straight out of the 50s, but it's dirt cheap and the burgers are great.
I also love Harbord Fish & Chips at Harbord and Brunswick. You'll pay a pretty penny, the the fish is absolutely delicious, golden brown and dripping with oily goodness.
I've weathered several hangovers at the George Street Diner, over at Richmond and Jarvis. I love the french toast, which comes in inch-thick slabs larger than the out-streched palm of my hand.
Finally, I love the Eggsmart over at Sherbourne and Howard. Their largest breakfast can comfortably feed 2 people with eggs, sausages, pancakes, bacon, ham, the works. To my own shame I've attempted this 2-person breakfast several times and I've yet to successfully finish it.
That's all I got for now. I try to keep my guilty pleasures to a minimum lately, but in a moment of weakness, these are the places that I normally turn to.

Ooooh Vesta! I forgot!! Great greasy spoon indeed! Another 2 worth mentioning (if you want breakfast food but don't want to resort to Fran's) The Lakeview at Dundas and Ossington and the Good Bite at Yonge and Erskine. These 2 didnt make the cut on my top 5, but they would be the top 2 choices if I did a top 5 hangover food list (my first list was more drunk food)

I must admit, Dangerous Dan has always looked so crummy on the outside that I've never ventured in. Maybe I've been missing out, I think I'll give it a shot. Not exactly a greasy spoon, but Utopia on College street has 13 burgers on the menu, some of which are quite exotic. The biggest one, The Double Burger, is certainly worth trying.

I am in full agreement with The Stockyards. That fried chicken is magic.

No one here has covered pizza! But that's probably because there is a passing trend with recreating pizza in the thin crust, delicate sauce, sparingly topped, "authentic" style. Sure that can be nice, but sometimes I want an artery clogging calorie bomb that still tastes great. So where can I get some Chicago style?! I have had the pizza from Trevor, and it is good, but so expensive because of mandatory delivery charges and tips. I have had the pizza from Chicago Style in Hamilton, and it's great, but it's a bit of a trek, especially since I don't have a car. Is anyone else doing pizza this way in the GTA?

EDIT: Another adaptation from our neighbours to the south I miss are Cheesestakes. Philly is one of my favourite cities in the world, and very time I visit I have to have a steak. Is anyone doing these in the GTA?

Last edited:
EDIT: Another adaptation from our neighbours to the south I miss are Cheesestakes. Philly is one of my favourite cities in the world, and very time I visit I have to have a steak. Is anyone doing these in the GTA?

In the last month a restaurant devoted to Cheesesteaks opened up on Yonge just North of College just beside Hoops Sports Bar. The place is called "I went to Philly". I tried it the first day that it opened. I have never had a Cheesestake in Philly so I don't know how authentic it is but they seem to have done their homework with the restaurant being closely modeled after the birthplace, Pat's King of Steaks in Philly.

I found the Cheesesteak a bit pricey but it was tasty. The steak however was chopped up very finely (finer then what is shown in below picture) which takes away from the texture. It was almost like ground beef. As I mentioned I was there on the first day so they may have refined things since then.

Cheesesteak from "I Went to Philly":

i-went-to-philly-1.jpg

photo credit: http://www.postcity.com/Eat-Shop-Do...y-a-steak-sandwich-sanctuary-on-Yonge-Street/

Another place to get Cheeseteak is the Food cabbie, unfortunately since the city chased the food trucks off of private parking lots the Food cabbie has not been downtown much lately.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Food-Cabbie/137387466356927

The Cheeseteak from Food Cabbie - only $6 including tax! (photo credit: The Food Cabbie)

313018_137564859672521_1545959761_n.jpg

Last edited:
So where can I get some Chicago style?! I have had the pizza from Trevor, and it is good, but so expensive because of mandatory delivery charges and tips. I have had the pizza from Chicago Style in Hamilton, and it's great, but it's a bit of a trek, especially since I don't have a car. Is anyone else doing pizza this way in the GTA?

Still a trek, since you don't have a car, but Mickey's Dragon Pizza makes a kick-ass Chicago-style pizza. They're in Clarkson, though. I don't know of anyone in town that does it.

Any mid/uptowners ever try Construction Site? Pretty decent grilled cheese place at Yonge and Eg (on the ground floor of Canada Square where the Druxy's used to be). I know there are better grilled cheese places - but this one has an ace up it's sleeve. They serve this really amazing chutney to dip your sandwich or chips (yes...chips) into. When I first went I felt kind of ripped off that they served chips instead of fries, but it kinda grew on me. They basically buy an industrial sized package of Ruffles and pour rosemary all over it - lazy but good. Plus any place that serves a mac n cheese sandwich can't be bad.

Still a trek, since you don't have a car, but Mickey's Dragon Pizza makes a kick-ass Chicago-style pizza. They're in Clarkson, though. I don't know of anyone in town that does it.

I will second this. Mickey's makes an outstanding Chicago-style pizza, the price is reasonable, and there's really no one else like them (and if you look at their tracker map in the store, you'll see people are coming from all over for it). I will have to try the Hamilton place sometime when I'm there.

I do miss Uno's for some cheap (or at least easily-accesible) and cheerful Chicago-style.

Black Camel is $%^in amazing. The pulled pork is pretty damn good actually. And although the camel isn't "healthy" it certainly isnt too "unhealthy". But if you avoid anything that grows in the ground while eating there then I guess it's allowed. Back to the basics though. Some west end things that I am itching to try are Barque and Glory Hole Doughnuts (Don't yell at me, I didn't name the place). The former is a highly recommended BBQ joint, the latter is a designer doughnut bakery - which has reportedly raised the bar with their recipes.

Have you guys tried Black Camel, just north of Rosedale Station? They go for the gourmet sandwich approach, but there's no way in hell they can pass their fare off as healthy. I recommend the pulld pork shoulder sandwich. http://www.blackcamel.ca/about.htm

I really like their sandwiches. I used to work at Yonge and St. Clair and it became a regular lunch spot. A year after they opened I got a job downtown, but I still take the subway up once a month or so for a treat. I thought I would be the only one to travel there, but the funny thing is I have noticed other people doing this too. In fact a few times I have seen people going back to the subway with very large orders, like a dozen sandwiches, which I assume are for other people at the office wanting to get in on it. Pretty good for such a small place, but not surprising as the sandwiches sold in the PATH are either bland fast-food or really expensive.

Last edited:

Just updating my above reply. The Food Cabbie is back downtown again on a fairly regular basis after a summer long absence. They will be rotating between the new Food Truck parking lot at Yonge & Gould (pictured below) and the SONY Centre.

I tried their Philly Cheesesteak today for the first time and it was outstanding. Great value for $6.50 incl. tax.

To find out where they will be parked on any given day you can follow them on twitter. https://twitter.com/FoodCabbie

63088_341139075981764_1617716634_n.jpg

197482_341138909315114_92188619_n.jpg

Last edited:

Back