News   Mar 28, 2024
 41     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

RENTAL QUESTION: Where are some of the hidden gem locations in Toronto?

Kenny

Member Bio
Reaction score
So, it sounds like more people are choosing renting as an option so I thought I'd bring this topic up.

Renting in the city is a lot different than buying. Obviously, there aren't as many detached homes to rent as there are to buy! And apartment buildings and split floors come into play for renters.

What areas of the city are great to rent in and are under valued compared to other areas?

An apartment in Leaside Towers seems pretty cheap and I heard they are very well maintained buildings.

I'm actually quite surprised at the lack of responses for this thread. I think this is a great topic and should be up for debate seeing as everyone has reasons for living where they live. If you can't purchase in a neighbourhood you desire, I'm sure it's feasible to rent there. So where are these places?

Stephen Duong
www.mycapitalcorner.com

I live off Church and Maitland in the village. $1600/month for an 18th storey 2-bedroom apartment (with a great view and balcony) within a 5 minute walk of College and Wellesley stations is a steal. Close to nightlife, restaurants, university, and stores. I couldn't ask for anything better.

So, it sounds like more people are choosing renting as an option so I thought I'd bring this topic up.

Renting in the city is a lot different than buying. Obviously, there aren't as many detached homes to rent as there are to buy! And apartment buildings and split floors come into play for renters.

What areas of the city are great to rent in and are under valued compared to other areas?

If you would like to live not in the over valued area, forget about the city center. Oakwood/Vaughan and Fairbank are definitely the two best areas for deals west of Yonge. And of course the price is different when you rent a house and when you buy it. When my friend was moving to Toronto, we found him an apartment for rent here http://toronto.localmartca.com/apartments-condos/, the price was ok. So why not to try to look for a flat here, Maybe it will help you.

I'm actually quite surprised at the lack of responses for this thread. I think this is a great topic and should be up for debate seeing as everyone has reasons for living where they live. If you can't purchase in a neighbourhood you desire, I'm sure it's feasible to rent there. So where are these places?

Stephen Duong
www.mycapitalcorner.com

I don't want to give my location away -- although I admit that I am conflicted because ours is a hidden gem building. Until a friend bought in, I drove by it a million times without knowing it was a condo, and without a clue as to how nice it is.
Pool, gym, concierge, patio, private grounds, unobstructed views, walkability, transit, storage, visitor parking and older, spacious suites with MBRs big enough for king-sized beds and at least three pieces of furniture.

I want people to notice so they drive up the prices. :eek::cool:

Real estate to rent and buy in the center of the city is overvalued like in any other place. It’s considered the best while there are lots of cons living there. Noise, traffic jams to get home and many others that are getting on your nerves. Living in the bedroom community is the best choice! To my mind it’s the best place where you can rent an apartment or a house for you family or buy it if you have such an opportunity. Try to choose these locations, as they are very good for living. Quite places where you won’t hear the street noise. You can also consider the suburbs, but it depends on a person. Some like living there and others prefer the city itself.

I recommend Liberty Village if you are under 30. There is great infrastructure and reasonable rent.

What do you mean by infrastructure?

Traffic congestion is horrible and the King st car line is a gong show in the morning/evening - quicker to walk to the core.

Agreed that it is great for the sub-30's crowd.

Anywhere downtown east of Yonge from the lake to bloor. Great value compared to the central core. King west is not bad but as mentioned above commuting to the core is brutal on a good day. Usually good deals are found in new construction when a building is just occupying.

I am seeing great value at infinity 3. One beds with den and parking under $2000 a month. Entry level one beds $1450-1500. Building is not exceptional but location speaks for itself.

Last edited:
I think Wynford is awesome for apartment rentals. The apartments are generally very large, and rent is approximately $1 per sq. ft. So, an 1,100 sq. ft would be around $1,100 or slightly more. It is super close to the highway, but if you get a place near the Don Valley, you cant hear it. Also, the trails in the valley are all redeveloped by the city last year, so if you like hiking etc, might like it here. Wynford is also very different, in that it is close to major roadways, but there is no through traffic (or very little) so it is quiet. Lots of condos as well, if you are looking for rental condos.

Daniel MacQuarrie
http://www.tophousesforsaleintoronto.com

Back