Markham 46 on Main | ?m | 5s | Eringate Homes | Line Architect

canarob

Member Bio
Reaction score
I noticed a sales centre is open for this one. As much as I appreciate more in-fill projects on Main Street Markham -- especially since local businesses have been hurting due to the road reconstruction work -- this one is hideous! 68 Main, which is under construction just up the street is a masterpiece by comparison: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/11444-68-Main-Street-(Markham-Sierra-Building-Group-6s)

yuxigu.jpg

http://www.46mainstreet.ca/en/

The good thing is that this project will be mostly blocked from view from Main Street by these beauties:

46%20main_zpsdb9d5aea.jpg

I should also note that the website says things like "the story of our historical site will begin soon," and it claims to back onto the Rouge River, when in fact in backs onto Robinson Creek (which is still pretty nice).

Last edited:
I’m a little confused by these posts? I just bought a 2 bed plus den and I couldn’t be happier with, or more confident about the purchase! Comparatively, the cost is superior to any other building in the area, not to mention the incentives that came along with it. The maintenance fees are very low and include literally everything. And as far as location goes – you simply can’t beat it. I have everything I need within walking distance!

And what’s wrong with the building? The town of Markham and Heritage Committee helped plan and approve the design! It is a low-rise, quiet building that blends right in with the rest of the Main Street and heritage downtown area. It even has access to the creek and some greenery – I don’t see anywhere else with these types of benefits.

Since you're clearly the developer, I'll just say that it's great that infill is happening along Main Street and I have no objections to this project aside from its appearance. The yellow brick on the top floor, the massing, the balcony style -- none of it works for me. If you look at other threads on this forum, you'll notice that there is a separate real estate section that deals with questions concerning whether or not a project is a good investment, etc.

Yeah, splurge a bit on a proper architect for starters. Building looks like one of those ghetto student builds they're blighting Waterloo with.

What they can get away with, design-wise, in Waterloo is so ridiculous that those giant student housing monstrosities actually are kind of iconic to that "city". It's almost as if Waterloo didn't have any zoning laws.

This building is certainly hideous but, like you said, it's well hidden and it does add some infill density.

Last edited:
It's obviously a building of compromise and value engineering. It has some remote reference from the past, but deeply marred by the lack of detail, refinement and level of thought and unsympathetic to the charming character of historic Main Street Unionville, which I have fond memories of. Since this building is set far back from the street and behind other buildings, I hope it will it won't be so much of an impact from Main Street. Hope there are plans for lots of trees.

It reminds me of those mass produced apartment communities in some parts of the U.S. that tries to emulate some kind of historic reference:
7up7p5.jpg

denversquareopen.jpg

And what’s wrong with the building? The town of Markham and Heritage Committee helped plan and approve the design! It is a low-rise, quiet building that blends right in with the rest of the Main Street and heritage downtown area. It even has access to the creek and some greenery – I don’t see anywhere else with these types of benefits.

Looks-wise, the proposal is hideous. Heritage Committees should work on preservation, not on approving new (if one can dare call it that) designs. To be honest, it looks like a cheap retirement home, and I have sympathies for retirees who can only afford to live in such buildings.

Okay, so I'm being harsh, but the exterior looks banal and resembles an architectural accident of sorts. One can wish that it would "blend in" more - to the degree that it would vanish into the background. As for its proximity to the creek, I feel sorry for the creek.

It's obviously a building of compromise and value engineering. It has some remote reference from the past, but deeply marred by the lack of detail, refinement and level of thought and unsympathetic to the charming character of historic Main Street Unionville, which I have fond memories of. Since this building is set far back from the street and behind other buildings, I hope it will it won't be so much of an impact from Main Street. Hope there are plans for lots of trees.

I agree, but this is Main Street Markham (Markham Road between the 407 and 16th Avenue), not Main Street Unionville.

Back