News   Mar 28, 2024
 623     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 905     0 

Observation decks?

Hanlansboy

Member Bio
Reaction score
A good friend of mine from Halifax is coming into town on business, so luckily, I'll have a few days to show him around downtown. Like me, he has a passion for skyscrapers, he asked me which towers, aside from the CN tower, have observations decks, but I had no answer to give him. Since many of you are quite knowledgeable about our towers, I thought I'd ask if you know of any observation decks and/or restaurants on a high floor open to the public? I'd never really thought about it, but there doesn't seem to be public spaces to view the city, and in towers like FCP, the Soctia Plaza, TD towers, etc it's a shame there isn't. I'm sorry to bother you with this trivial question, if you feel it's not appropriate, please feel free to delete it, just thought I'd ask, thank you.:cool:

Some are closed now for safety reasons or because the CN tower takes a lot of the business. Canoe restaurant atop the TD Centre at 66 Wellington St W is pricey but has incredible views plus there's 180 Panarama at the top of the Manulife Centre apartments at 55 Bloor W. which seems to change it's food and drink policies every time I'm in there but it's probably more reasonable and affords terrific views too. Of course there's CN Tower. You should check to see if reservations are necessary at these venues for drinks or dinner.

There's a great rooftop lounge at the Park Hyatt with cool views as well, its a nice spot to have a drink.

trump has a nice terrace.

does city hall have an observation deck? i seem to recall seeing pictures from there during open doors.

City Hall and Commerce court (the original building, not the modern west tower) both have observation decks. The City Hall observation deck is open during doors open T.O, and the gargoyle adorned commerce court observation deck has long since closed to the public - which is a damn shame.

City Hall and Commerce court (the original building, not the modern west tower) both have observation decks. The City Hall observation deck is open during doors open T.O, and the gargoyle adorned commerce court observation deck has long since closed to the public - which is a damn shame.

Actually, when first constructed, the modern Commerce Court tower did indeed have an observation deck (it is now offices for Stikeman Elliott). This is why one must take a shuttle elevator from the 54th floor of the firm to reach their other offices on 57 (where my office was). That shuttle elevator used to be for the observation deck.

If your friend is interested in visual art as well as sightseeing from tall buildings, why not combine the two and make an appointment to see BMO's corporate art collection, on view at their gallery, BMO Project Room, on the 68th floor of FCP on Fridays? ( 416 ) 867-5290 or ( 416 ) 643 2609.

If your friend is interested in visual art as well as sightseeing from tall buildings, why not combine the two and make an appointment to see BMO's corporate art collection, on view at their gallery, BMO Project Room, on the 68th floor of FCP on Fridays? ( 416 ) 867-5290 or ( 416 ) 643 2609.

I never even knew that exsisted, I will definitely look into it as well, thanks to everyone for the info, my friend is about to be impressed, we have a terrific skyline, why not show it off?, it's a shame there are not more observation decks in the taller towers.

Actually, when first constructed, the modern Commerce Court tower did indeed have an observation deck (it is now offices for Stikeman Elliott). This is why one must take a shuttle elevator from the 54th floor of the firm to reach their other offices on 57 (where my office was). That shuttle elevator used to be for the observation deck.

Does SE use it for offices? It used to be their library. The ceiling wasn't as high as the lower floors.

We went there when I was a kid before the CN tower opened, I always wondered what that space was used for now. At the time, they also had a great display of birds behind glass around the interior of the observation deck.

I say their should be way more observation decks especially among the newer skyscrapers that are not in the financial core. I don't see why not for example with the ICE buildings not at the VERY top where the holes are but just underneath on the main rooftop. have some creative things like maybe a small store and picnic tables or a small restaurant or whatever and have it be free of cost for people to go up for charge a very small amount per person(unlike CN tower) The view would be great.

Unless of course and I wouldn't doubt there might be some sort of stupid liability law costs or some bullsh*t that would cause the building owners to just say it's not worth it.

What do you guys thing? Also Aura would be great for that too because of the creative rooftop it has and it not being close to other tall tall buildings, also 1 Bloor

Back