News   Mar 28, 2024
 928     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 532     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 830     0 

Loblaws Redevelopment (10 Lower Jarvis Street, Choice Properties REIT, ?s, ?)

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
I just heard a rumour from an employee at Maple Leaf Gardens Loblaws that the owner of the land that the Loblaws at Queens Quay sits on is not renewing their lease and is planning to redevelop the property.

Last edited:
That really sucks, this is a great Loblaws and it's a busy one too that could have only become busier as this area continues to explode.

No!!! I love this Loblaws, and it will be a great asset to the new East Bayfront neighbourhood. Hopefully this rumour is not true.

The idea of the QQE Loblaws is great - just not particularly sold on the execution of the current facility, with the 1s parking lot and the general urban unfriendliness of the design. The site deserves something better.

AoD

I just heard a rumour from an employee at Maple Leaf Gardens Loblaws that the owner of the land that the Loblaws at Queens Quay sits on is not renewing their lease and is planning to redevelop the property.

IPCF Properties Inc (Loblaws) owns the 4.1 acre parcel at 102 Queens Quay E where the Loblaws sits. They purchased the site in 1996 for $3.25 Million. I don't believe this rumour has any truth to it. By the way, it stands for "If Pigs Could Fly".

Actually there is another plot of land between the LCBO and Loblaws, wonder if that is part of the same owner, or in the works to be sold.

LCBO owns the vacant piece/parking lot next to the Loblaws. It's part of the overall LCBO property that's for sale.

IPCF Properties Inc (Loblaws) owns the 4.1 acre parcel at 102 Queens Quay E where the Loblaws sits. They purchased the site in 1996 for $3.25 Million. I don't believe this rumour has any truth to it. .

Yeah, but nothing stopping them from selling it for 10x of what they paid, and in return the developer incorporates a Loblaws into a future project

Yeah, but nothing stopping them from selling it for 10x of what they paid, and in return the developer incorporates a Loblaws into a future project

Yes, that's very possible. But very different than what rdaner posted.

I can see Loblaws relocating into the Bayside development, following which they'd close the Lower Jarvis store and sell the site. Moves them closer to the future residential core of East Bayfront and gives Hines a much needed anchor tenant to generate pedestrian activity.

There are "discussions" going on about rearranging the blocks between Yonge and Lower Jarvis south of the rail corridor in which Harbour Street would continue east without a "bend" between Yonge and Bay - this would certainly affect the Loblaws site. This plan would involve land swaps between the City and other owners but would create more typically sized City blocks and be better for development.

The idea of the QQE Loblaws is great - just not particularly sold on the execution of the current facility, with the 1s parking lot and the general urban unfriendliness of the design. The site deserves something better.

AoD

Well, it's a generic "urban big-box brownscape" Loblaws--not that that's horrible or anything. And may I suggest that it was always more of a short-life "taxpayer" (a la the King-Spadina LCBO) than a permanent urban fixture--this stretch already having been pinpointed as "future condo redevelopment zone" when it was built. Thus, its archi-urban deficiencies should be read through that prism.

Though it'd be surprising if Loblaws winds up divesting all interest in the site--unless the MLG/LoblawWarehouse juggernaut (with a dab of T&T on the side) renders the commitment to the location redundant...

10 Lower Jarvis Street (Choice Properties REIT, ?, ?)

Currently a Loblaws being considered for redevelopment by Choice Properties REIT. It's probably years and years away, and they likely will be closely watching approvals for Pinnacle as One Yonge moves through the planning process and OMB.

It's probably too early to start this thread but maybe a great building will rise on this site one day.

"Choice Properties REIT has stated its intention to redevelop their site at 10 Lower Jarvis, but has stated that timing for redevelopment is undetermined." - From Lower Yonge Precinct Planning Study Staff Report: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2014/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-72586.pdf

City's vision for the overall area, including One Yonge, LCBO lands, 10 Lower Jarvis and other city-owned properties:

Lower+Yonge+-+Rendering+of+Precinct.jpg

Google Maps location: https://www.google.com/maps/place/10+Lower+Jarvis+St,+Toronto,+ON+M5E+1Z2,+Canada

Last edited:

Back