News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 650     0 

National Post Locating to Greenwin Square

Blovertis

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been discussed anywhere else, but the National Post, having sold its Don Mill HQ, will be relocating to the poured concrete monstrosity known as Greenwin Square, Bloor East, just west of Sherbourne. There's a rendering that shows a fairly prominent street entrance:

http://business.financialpost.com/2012/08/17/postmedia-network-and-national-post-reveal-new-downtown-toronto-hq/

Not sure how many people are employed by the Post anymore, but it promises to bring a bit more life to what has always been a drab section of Bloor.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice to see them moving to Toronto. Always seemed a bit bizarre they were so far out-of-town, when most of the other media outlets were more central.

Knocking it as a "poured concrete monstrosity" seems more an 80s thing than of today--on the whole, Greenwin Square's benign, even allowing for the planning quirks of its time.

But it does seem an oddly humble location for a newspaper HQ--of course, by that time, the Post papers might as well be web-only...

CTV should also move !

Greenwin Square is being redone at the bottom as well. Still I did find it a little bit of an odd choice. But maybe because its still convenient for employees by car or subway relatively speaking.

The last a heard, i thought they were moving to the King/Strachan area

You mean relocating the giant building along the 401 ? This is for "CTV Television Network". Hard to believe but it is strange they're so far out !

Didn't Global News setup a studio on the ground level of a building near here? I'm sure I saw a press release or something about their morning show being broadcast from here, Breakfast Television style.

Just because CTV has a HQ in Agincourt doesn't mean *all* their operations are there--though the logistics of being way out there have meant their having "downtown studios" for some time now; I think the first of their downtown operations were in the building now being demo'd for Casa II, and later they set up shop in the 250 Yonge Eaton Centre tower.

Remember: 50 years ago, Scarborough along the 401 marked "modernity", "the future", et al. (And compounding the isolation would have been the fact that the 401/McCowan interchange wasn't built until the early 70s.)

I don't recall stating all their operations are in Scarborough, but they have a very large facility there that I could potentially see moving to the core.

And at this point, given all the condos and intensification and whatever, don't be surprised if they *do* sell off their Scarborough spread.

Back