News   Mar 28, 2024
 629     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 376     0 

Toronto Architecture From The 1960's and 70's

LowPolygon

Member Bio
Reaction score
An occasional series of photographs of some of Toronto’s finest buildings, from the heyday of late modernism.

University of Toronto Scarborough, 1964. Designed by John Andrews.

http://iqbalaalam.wordpress.com/2009/11/27/john-andrews-brutalist-megastructure-in-toronto/

http://www.uq.edu.au/atch/oral-history-event-the-work-of-john-andrews

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1967/12/1/andrews-genius-of-scarborough-is-coming-to/

73703c4a.gif

d37cd297.gif

2eef7fe0.gif

b7027fd3.gif

902aeee1.gif

2eaba34c.gif

2e704f77.gif

6f871eb3.gif

8e002aae.gif

Very comparable to Ryerson's Jorgenson Hall - the bare concrete is actually fairly nice (in a contemplative, zen sort of way) but the brick tiles are just ghastly. Dark slate would have looked so much better. That, and they can really use some sympathetically designed furniture/fixtures.

AoD

I used to absolutely despise that sort of architecture, but it has since grown on me. It puts me in mind of the UBC Aquatic Centre, where I spent many hours as a youth.

I rather like the brick tiles, there's something very much of the age about them.

An occasional series of photographs of some of Toronto’s finest buildings, from the heyday of late modernism.

University of Toronto Scarborough, 1964. Designed by John Andrews.

902aeee1.gif

That "unfinished" concrete looks terrible!
Is it still the same (or worse) 48 years later?

^
different strokes for different folks i suppose. personally i am a huge fan of the brutalist use of raw concrete. i love it because because it is extreme, pure, and uncompromising (even 50 years later), and doesn't bother with the bland pleasantries of mainstream aesthetics. but mostly i love it because i find it a very beautiful material, and a very beautiful style of architecture.

And what you see in the photo *is* 48 years later (I think Goldie was unclear on that point)

Yes, I was unclear because I don't believe thedeepend gave us a date for the photos.
To me, they appear to be less than recent.
Can someone correct my impression?

Yes, I was unclear because I don't believe thedeepend gave us a date for the photos.
Things like the flat-screen LCD monitor in the lobby identify the pics as pretty recent. Also, the recycling bins.

This is Brutalism with a capital B. One of my favorite styles when done well. This style is also great when effectively paired with natural elements, like the way Raymond Moriyama's Science Centre integrates with the Don valley. Vines, trees, and other organic elements can really compliment the Brutalist style.

This is also very similar to both the DB Weldon Library and the Social Sciences building at Western University. Now that I think of it, I am sure it is very similar to many buildings at many universities.

those are indeed very recent images Goldie! i took them not three weeks ago...

Thanks, deepend, for resolving my mistaken impression.
That would explain the grungy concrete - 48 years, indeed!
Does anyone [other than me] advocate a paint job?
Just some nice colour - not graffiti!

This is also very similar to both the DB Weldon Library and the Social Sciences building at Western University. Now that I think of it, I am sure it is very similar to many buildings at many universities.

As well as the Math & Computers Building, Psychology Anthropology Sociology Building, and the Physical Activities Complex at the University of Waterloo.

Thanks, deepend, for resolving my mistaken impression.
That would explain the grungy concrete - 48 years, indeed!
Does anyone [other than me] advocate a paint job?
Just some nice colour - not graffiti!

On heritage grounds, no. At most, maybe, an occasional power wash.

Back