News   Apr 19, 2024
 103     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 545     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Changing ownership of a pre-con unit (within family)

nifty

Member Bio
Reaction score
Question, not sure if anyone can shed light but...

Generally speaking, if someone wants to sell their pre-con unit, they have to wait until closing or after closing right? You can't sell it before or change names on the unit etc? At what time is one allowed to change names of who owns the unit WITH a fee?

So long story short, my mother is the official owner of the unit but will need to switch it to my name since I'm the one moving in. In the contract, there was a clause put that said we could change the ownership to someone within the family without incurring any fees for change of name. I'm told we can only change it at closing. Does that all sound correct? I can't change it to my name via lawyer earlier, before closing, with that clause in the contract re: changing ownership to someone in the family? I have to get my mortgage and first time buyer stuff in order soon and I hope this doesn't affect anything :/

Sorry for the ignorance - first time home buyer (well technically, once it gets switched to my name!)

Since you need to find a lawyer to deal with the condo closing, you should find a the lawyer to look over the condo doc for you as well. The details in the contract may vary from builder to builder or even building to building.

Back