News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 634     0 

Suhkothai

I've been a few times in the past few years, always for takeout and love the food. I had kind of forgotten about it recently until I read this post, so last week I went and tried something new to me, the Khao Soi. It was excellent and prepared promptly. It was so good I went back again this week and unfortunately had a bad service experience. I arrived for takeout, the store was busy, but they took my order promptly. I was told 10 minutes. I went for a walk and came back 10 minutes later. The staff seemed very harried and there were almost 20 take-out containers of food stacked on a table by the cash. I asked if my order was ready, but was told no. I waited another 10 minutes, then someone else arrived who had a large take-out order. The staff still hadn't finished it and I waited another 5 minutes for them to do that. Again I asked if mine was ready and they looked at the table with lots of containers on it and said yes. They got a bag and put a container that had been sitting on the counter the entire 15 I was there waiting and packaged it up for me. I couldn't believe it. Of course it was cold. I don't understand what happened. I am reluctant to go back again.

I've been a few times in the past few years, always for takeout and love the food. I had kind of forgotten about it recently until I read this post, so last week I went and tried something new to me, the Khao Soi. It was excellent and prepared promptly. It was so good I went back again this week and unfortunately had a bad service experience. I arrived for takeout, the store was busy, but they took my order promptly. I was told 10 minutes. I went for a walk and came back 10 minutes later. The staff seemed very harried and there were almost 20 take-out containers of food stacked on a table by the cash. I asked if my order was ready, but was told no. I waited another 10 minutes, then someone else arrived who had a large take-out order. The staff still hadn't finished it and I waited another 5 minutes for them to do that. Again I asked if mine was ready and they looked at the table with lots of containers on it and said yes. They got a bag and put a container that had been sitting on the counter the entire 15 I was there waiting and packaged it up for me. I couldn't believe it. Of course it was cold. I don't understand what happened. I am reluctant to go back again.

i would give them another chance. that's definitely an anomalous situation. i've picked up take-out there probably 2 dozen times, and outside of one time when a dish was inadvertently left out, (which they quickly delivered to my house) i haven't had a problem. if they say come back in 20 minutes, 95% of the time it's ready in 20 minutes. it always crazy busy there and feels very chaotic, but i think they do a excellent job of keeping it together...

Haven't been but meaning to try...in the meantime, the owners opened a new, more sitdown-ish restaurant last year:

http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/khao-san-road-toronto

AoD

its unbelievably good. go to the original one on Parliament though, for the atmosphere. the Adelaide one is a bit too big and feels kind of impersonal and mainstream in comparison to the tiny hole in the wall vibe of the original.

the food is also a bit better there i think.

44df2498.png

Maybe things have changed but I tried this place a few years ago when Chef Nuit was still doing the cooking. I ordered Vegetable Pad Thai and it was a huge disappointment. It came in a very bland flavourless and colourless sauce, not the usual sweet and savory sauce I am used to getting in other Thai restaurants, and the only vegetable was shredded carrot. Maybe Pad Thai was the wrong thing to order but I was not impressed and never went back.

Back