News   Apr 19, 2024
 79     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 531     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Waterside Exec Ctr (Pt Credit Post Office conversion, Centre City Capital, 3s, Adamson) COMPLETE

Jasonzed

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is a small project but an important one. If I remember correctly the developer wanted to build condos but the city said no. This is adjacent to the marina and across the street from the library.

DSCF6115.jpg

DSCF6119.jpg

DSCF6118.jpg

Glad to see they're doing something with it at last. Shame the postal outlet moved out; not keen on its current location.

I hope this isn't going to be this plain glass box that's pictured above It doesn't look promising at all, and the port at Port Credit deserves a looker.

There's quite a bit on the Town of Port Credit Association's Heritage Advisory Committee webpages about this development, including this thorough presentation which was put together to oppose the plans, and to try to get some changes.

Anyway, the Waterside Executive Centre is a three storey development by Centre City Capital with a design by Adamson Associate Architects. Here's hoping it looks better than this when complete (but this looks like total garbage to me, completely inappropriate for its marina setting):

Port_Credit_Post_Office_development_proposal_all_views_Jan_11_2013.jpg

Attachments

• Port_Credit_Post_Office_development_proposal_all_views_Jan_11_2013.jpg
    Port_Credit_Post_Office_development_proposal_all_views_Jan_11_2013.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 760
Literally that? Ugh, I guess it's atleast SOME form of office development in that area. Currently, this area leading from Hurontario is somewhat sketchy, can't wait for it to be more of a urban area.

Last edited:
PCPOdig.jpg

The hole will become a massive parking garage, principally benefitting the Waterside Inn (in the background, across Stavebank Rd). Not coincidentally, the same company is behind both the post office conversion project and the hotel. Local heritage enthusiasts wanted the project scaled down and more attuned to its surroundings; the BIA supported it as is, and the OMB agreed to it.

Attachments

• PCPOdig.jpg
    PCPOdig.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 653
Here's hoping that it looks nothing like the renderings when it's done. As soulless boxes go, this one's angling to be the dictionary definition.

I see nothing to suggest it will be anything other than the "soulless box" of the renderings. That's particularly sad in this location, where Lakeshore Rd. crosses the river—the historic heart of Port Credit. Across Lakeshore there's an example of what can be done, a mid-century modernist but light and airy one-storey public library that embraces its natural surroundings rather than overwhelms. Something like that, adapted to commercial needs, could have been an ornament rather than what appears likely to be a blight.

Mississauga's Urban Design Advisory Panel has been around since 2007. How did they miss weighing in on this building?

Aren't design review panels voluntary? They may have weighed in, but the developer is under no obligation to comply.

You're right, typically they are voluntary, but also typically the developer does make attempts to comply with panel requests (especially if they need the City on board for zoning amendments). In my (admittedly non-exhaustive) search through documents on this building, I did not come across any reference to a brush with the Mississauga DRAP, so I've been assuming that it was not screened by them. Had it been, I expect I would see the Port Credit ratepayers groups up in arms about the developer having snubbed the advice, but nothing like that jumped out. If someone does know that it was seen by them, I am curious as to what happened (and what didn't).

You're right, typically they are voluntary, but also typically the developer does make attempts to comply with panel requests (especially if they need the City on board for zoning amendments). In my (admittedly non-exhaustive) search through documents on this building, I did not come across any reference to a brush with the Mississauga DRAP, so I've been assuming that it was not screened by them. Had it been, I expect I would see the Port Credit ratepayers groups up in arms about the developer having snubbed the advice, but nothing like that jumped out. If someone does know that it was seen by them, I am curious as to what happened (and what didn't).

I was always under the impression that a developer would have to volunteer to put their project through the DRP themselves. Is that not the case?

Back