News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Dinner in Little India

Southoftheborder

Member Bio
Reaction score
Went to Gerrard Street tonight to update myself on the status of things. Looks a little down from 7 years ago. But Udupi Palace (1460 Gerrard Street) was still up and running. Since that' is where I had my first Indian meal in Toronto years ago, I decided to return there.

I ordered Sag Paneer and faluda. Sag Paneer is spicy South Indian spinach curry. Faluda is this weird drink that reminds me of a milk shake. Except it tastes like no milk shake I've ever had. The sag was really spicy, but the dinner included rice and two kinds of bread. So with the rice, bread, and faluda, I managed to tame the spice a little bit.

Just as good as I remembered it. Tomorrow I may go back to Gerrard to have butter chicken at Gautama (1416 Gerrard). It is new since the last time I visited.

Had butter chicken curry with naan at Moti Mahal in Little India. I found it scrumptious. Might say that no matter where I went. Moti Mahal opens earlier than some other places, so I went there.

Hmm ... I haven't checked out Moti Mahal before ... not even sure which one that is. (I'm certainly a Udupi Palace regular though!).

Hmm ... I haven't checked out Moti Mahal before ... not even sure which one that is. (I'm certainly a Udupi Palace regular though!).

I have yet to check out "Bombay Chowpatty" (sp?) but I hear it's an interesting choice.

I have yet to check out "Bombay Chowpatty" (sp?) but I hear it's an interesting choice.
Yes, I've heard positive stuff too ... and I've been meaning to check that out. Though coming from the Coxwell end, it's hard to get that far without getting tempted by something else. :)

Chowpatty rocks. Great pricing, super fresh. Looks and sounds like a fast food joint but the eating's really great. Their samosa dish in particular is wonderful. We like to watch the the Indian music vids while we wait for our orders.

If you're in the hood, go across the street to GAS - Gerrard Art Space. Yours truly has some paintings in there for the next few weeks.

I hope this area will rebound, but with so little in the way of development in the immediate vicinity not sure that'll happen

I believe it will. There are rumours of commercial and residential mid-rise development along the strip. I sense it's about to hit a tipping point. Regardless of any condo or residential dip, there's still a strong pressure to densify in the core, where most people want to be if they're going to be in the city at all - access to public transit and a strong concentration of amenities. Little India is but one area that will benefit. And to be sure, it could use a freshening up.

What type of real estate agent is not aware that Queen Street West is no where near Little India? Is this spam?

Little India is the name of the Indian restaurant located on Queen Street. Little India is also a neighbourhood on Gerrard Street East. Im familiar with both. No this is not spam

Back