News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 635     0 

Canadian flags in USA?

Zeiss

Member Bio
Reaction score
Do they have as many Canadian flags in the States as we have American flags here?

Do they have as many Canadian flags in the States as we have American flags here?

As my username may indicate, I grew up in Sarnia and thus, spent a lot of time in the US.

For what it's worth, I've noticed Canadians seem to be more willing to fly the US flag then Americans are with the Canadian flag. I don't really notice anymore now that I don't live in a border town.

I'm sure you'll find them outside many hotels, the Plaza in NYC for one (though I'm not sure it's still a hotel). You'll also find them in border towns and resort towns that see lots of Canadian business. Other than that most Americans probably couldn't even identify which end is up when it comes to our dear standard, as has been proven in the past.

Then there are number of Confederate flags being flown.

rebel_flag.jpg

^ I was very confused last Friday when on my bus to Bath I saw a Confederate flag hanging out a window next to all the Euro 2012 ones.

I don't remember so clearly, but in my impressions there were many Canadian flags neither in New York nor in Chicago. New York seemed to have more nicely exhibited French, British, and Italian Flags along side of American flag on their streets. It's nothing like in Toronto where there are American flags all over the city.

When I visited New York City many years ago, I remember seeing a huge Canadian Flag almost torn off (the red part of the flag almost cut out and dangling) in front of a high-rise building... it was as if the flag was cut by a knife intentionally.

That would just be poor quality. The stitching must've been bad enough for the different pieces of fabric to tear apart in bad weather.

When I was in NYC this year I noticed Canadian flags on several hotels, IIRC.

I travel in the US a fair bit and have seen Canadian flags pretty much everywhere, though it's an understandably small number. It will always be next to or beneath a US flag, as it should be.

I wonder where people are seeing all these American flags in Canada, though? Because we're smaller, we're have a higher % of US companies that have a Canadian presence than vice versa. That accounts for most of the flags you'll see on either side.

You really don't see all that many Canadian OR American flags here, since we're a less political/nationalist place to begin with. I would say we fly maybe a quarter as many flags as they do - proportionally speaking of course - and within that already lower number, the % of US flags is quite low and not far off to the number of Canadian flags I have seen in some parts of the US. Other parts - the south for example - you won't see any - just like you won't see many US flags in eastern Quebec for example (or Canadian, for that matter).

I see Canadian flags in most places around the world I've visited. Most hang from hotels, consulates, embassies, but some seem quite random. I even saw one on Helsinki's most important street (Esplanadi) hanging from a gorgeous pre-war building.

I see Canadian flags in most places around the world I've visited. Most hang from hotels, consulates, embassies, but some seem quite random. I even saw one on Helsinki's most important street (Esplanadi) hanging from a gorgeous pre-war building.

Anyone who's visited Trafalgar Square in London sees them very prominently (as Canada House is one of the more pronounced buildings there). Especially around the Olympics.

dI1ZDl.jpg

photo by me

Trafalgar Square is on the left, just off the image. Streetview.

Last edited:
I've been in Hong Kong and Mexico City and seen big Canadian flags hanging from prominent buildings, and me thinking that they were diplomatic and consular missions - nope, they were Four Seasons hotels.

I don't remember so clearly, but in my impressions there were many Canadian flags neither in New York nor in Chicago. New York seemed to have more nicely exhibited French, British, and Italian Flags along side of American flag on their streets. It's nothing like in Toronto where there are American flags all over the city.

When I visited New York City many years ago, I remember seeing a huge Canadian Flag almost torn off (the red part of the flag almost cut out and dangling) in front of a high-rise building... it was as if the flag was cut by a knife intentionally.

American flags in downtown Toronto are mostly restricted to hotels, and sports complexes. Even Bank of America and Citibank buildings don't have American Flags out front.

Having lived in Chicago and visited NYC many many times I can say that there it's probably the same for Canadian flags in both of those cities' downtowns.

Back