654     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Sound-proof windows in condos

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Though the windows in our 30-year old condo are pretty soundproof (and we recently replaced the weatherstripping on the sliders) there is always some external noise in our unit. Has anyone tried installing an extra (internal) window to reduce noise? If so how did it work out? (One company we have though about contacting is http://www.bquiet.ca/ )

Some downtown condos built in the 80's & 90's had a solarium or den with sliding glass doors in between the exterior windows and the bedroom which adds another layer of soundproofing. Mostly these are found along noisy streets (Lexington condos, Tridel's Carlton on the Park, 256 Jarvis, The Alexis, Paxton Place etc.). So if you have the length in a bedroom and/or living room this is an excellent option as you only need about 3 feet (or more) to create a den or solarium.
Too bad condos aren't built with this feature anymore, especially in areas known to be noisy at night.

Example (pre-built this way of course, but you get the idea):

Triple glazed windows are a better sound barrier than double glazed windows, unfortunately at a higher cost. Also if the space between the glass is wider, it presents a better sound barrier as well. Unfortunately, all those options are generally not in the hands of individual condo owners, but by the builder or condo board (when comes the time for window replacement).

For the individual condo owner, heavy thick drapes or multiple layers of drapes and blinds can be provide sound-proofing when they are closed.

Many newer condo's come built with double doors or double windows to help with sound. I know for a fact that DNA uses this method in all of the units that face the rail corridor.

Most new mid and high rise condos have double-glazed windows. One issue with respect to sound is that large windows can act like drums and transmit low frequency noise vibrations.

Though the windows in our 30-year old condo are pretty soundproof (and we recently replaced the weatherstripping on the sliders) there is always some external noise in our unit. Has anyone tried installing an extra (internal) window to reduce noise? If so how did it work out? (One company we have though about contacting is http://www.bquiet.ca/ )

Hi DSC, I’ve been pondering the same issue for my unit and came across this old thread. Did you end up going with BQuiet? I’ve been toying with the idea and the company is well reviewed but wouldn’t mind hearing your experience if you’ve got one.

Hi DSC, I’ve been pondering the same issue for my unit and came across this old thread. Did you end up going with BQuiet? I’ve been toying with the idea and the company is well reviewed but wouldn’t mind hearing your experience if you’ve got one.
No, we got used to it, or age made our hearing start to fail. ?

Hi MJ1990, did you end up going with BQuiet? I am also thinking about going with them for my condo by the 401, so would love to hear any feedback if you did :)

Yes, I've also noticed an increase in high pitched motorcycles on the 401, especially late at night! Although it has reduced somewhat now that we are in stage 3...

Hi MJ1990, did you end up going with BQuiet? I am also thinking about going with them for my condo by the 401, so would love to hear any feedback if you did :)

I did! I live down on Adelaide by the DVP and ever since installing these in my living room of my condo the street noise is noticeably quieter. I still hear the odd car/motorcycle but it’s only the super douchey loud ones. All general humming/street noise is basically nil.

it’s expensive for sure but worth it in my opinion and they do have financing available if you want to go down that path.

Back