106     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Toronto from space

Member Bio
Reaction score
Kudos to anyone who can find/guess the year.

rjFMI.jpg

Defintely looks pre-1991. I am going to say 1985, as my first home in Mississauga isn't there yet, and I was born in 87.

The resolution is pretty bad, but I do not see any of the 407. Date? I'll guess at 1984.

Last edited:
The old Woodbine Racetrack still appears to be in place (at Woodbine Ave.).
I believe it wasn't developed until after 1994.

late 70's early 80's

I'm going to say it's mid eighties. There is no Terminal 3 at the airport, Finch W. doesn't cross the Humber River at Islington yet and the 410 is built north of Derry Road (early eighties).

Steeles crosses the Humber. That puts it post 1983.

The 427 still ends at Indian Line. That puts it pre-1991.

Mississauga City Hall seems to be in the works beside Square One. That puts it a bit before 1987.

I think 1985 is a good solid guess.

I'm going to guess that you all may be way off!

..but only because I think I know where the original image is from ;)

so I won't say any more...

Looks like the Maple airport is still there....it closed in 1987.

Well, I can tell you I'm currently looking at my 1992 Canadian Oxford School Atlas which has a nice Landsat image of Toronto on page 9 which looks rather different from the one above (albeit mainly in the colouring). Unfortunately it doesn't specify which Landsat its from, other than the fact it would have to be #5 or earlier as #6 went up in 1993.

Well, I can tell you I'm currently looking at my 1992 Canadian Oxford School Atlas which has a nice Landsat image of Toronto on page 9 which looks rather different from the one above (albeit mainly in the colouring). Unfortunately it doesn't specify which Landsat its from, other than the fact it would have to be #5 or earlier as #6 went up in 1993.

Different how so? Does it look older or newer? More or less "grey"?

Back