News   Mar 28, 2024
 115     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 230     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.3K     1 

Is there a SINGLE non-glass box going up in the city at the moment?

HHC

Member Bio
Reaction score
Don't feel like skimming through hundreds of threads. Does anyone know?

I believe this was the last one? (Harbour City)

media-bbc8f583b9286e81becaf9d0ff58a9fa.jpg

Picasso on Richmond--construction likely to begin this year as it's over 80% sold.

B. Streets--construction to begin this summer.

River City 1 & 2--not really glass as they're using (zinc?) cladding.

Origami Lofts--launching in about 2 weeks and clad in zinc.

There's obviously quite a number of crappy projects under construction like WHC.

Was in Chicago a couple of weeks ago and the new ritz Carlton going up on Michigan ave was totally old world. No glass whatsoever. I though it was very interesting, keeping with the architecture around it. Looked like our royal York a little on the ground level. Our buildings going up r pretty much all glass and nothing but glass. I don't think it's good. We need variety.

Was in Chicago a couple of weeks ago and the new ritz Carlton going up on Michigan ave was totally old world. No glass whatsoever. I though it was very interesting, keeping with the architecture around it. Looked like our royal York a little on the ground level. Our buildings going up r pretty much all glass and nothing but glass. I don't think it's good. We need variety.

You forgot that a majority of developers here are cheap and lack creativity. Would kill for a non-glass 500 footer in TO...

Edit: that Chicago building looks awesome

Ritz_Residences_Chicago_Image.jpg

Ritz_Residences_Chicago_Luxury_Balcony_Image.jpg

Ritz_Residences_Chicago_Michigan_Erie_Luxury_Shopping_Image.jpg

Last edited:
1 St. Thomas was the only decent neo-trad skyscraper we built during the boom. I'm not saying it can't be done, but if you're going to go retro you have a small margin of error, or else it ends up looking crass.

several proposals don't have "glass". the one at bathurst and front, berczy condos in the saint lawrence district (ok, its partially "glass") picasso as mentioned, context queen west, and as mentioned, picasso.

Monde - by Moshe Safdie?

What was the last project shown above, it was very attractive.

The question was only part literal, I was more or less trying to make a point to engage discussion regarding the matter. You get my point though.. right?

haha yeah i get your point. I guess I'm just trying to say that I think if you look you'll find a lot of great projects.

People complain that we don't have our iconic supertall yet. We will get it eventually, that doesn't mean we should complain about what we get. I seriously think we are extremely lucky and all our projects are of pretty high quality that many other cities would love to get.

Plus, I think it is very stupid that we don't count FCP as a supertall...

The one of the left is a supertall, the one on the right is not.
ZUVA0.jpg

Plus, I do not think the CN Tower gets nearly enough credit. It is amazing.

Variety is so overrated if Chicago's Ritz Carlton, West Harbour City or anything up by Sheppard & Bayview is the answer. Regardless, anyone that can't think of one lone "non-glass box" development needs to get out of the basement and into the sun a little more. Glass remains completely overshadowed by previous booms despite the recent trend.

There are plenty of non-"glass box" new additions in recent years, that have been good and bad. However, I do not believe that being different alone does not render a building to be better. It still comes down to architectural merit. BTW, the Ritz Chicago is also one of the most detested new skyscrapers by Chicagoan urban enthusiasts.

Last edited:

Back