News   Mar 28, 2024
 307     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 328     0 

Star: Nightlife at Harbourfront could fall victim to whining locals

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm really curious, what nitelife are they referring too ! From "Liberty Entertainiment group" The harbourfront center it self has a lot of events in the summer but I don't think this is what they are referring too.

Indeed I did, that is one event !

I'm just curious if you know what else they do on the harbourfront ! They do things all around the city, very little takes place at harbourfront as far as I'm aware ?

I have a really low level of tolerance for people like this. What do they expect when they live near an established outdoor concert venue or buy into an area like the Entertainment District?

I have a really low level of tolerance for people like this. What do they expect when they live near an established outdoor concert venue or buy into an area like the Entertainment District?

There is no comparison. Luminato runs for a very short period of time, and daytime festivals are usually over before midnight. In the ED, noise could/can go on until three or four in the morning three, four or even five days a week - holidays included.

Ain't nothing like cabbies dueling for a fare by honking at each like idiots for ten minutes at 3:30 AM.

Again, from what I know is extremely rare for any event to take place at the harbourfront center well into the wee hours of the night, the only one I"m aware of is in the summer around Caribana time, and of course exceptions like Luminto.
So I'm curious exactly what residents complain about on a regular basis, the entertainment district is another story.

There is no comparison. Luminato runs for a very short period of time, and daytime festivals are usually over before midnight. In the ED, noise could/can go on until three or four in the morning three, four or even five days a week - holidays included.

Ain't nothing like cabbies dueling for a fare by honking at each like idiots for ten minutes at 3:30 AM.

And everyone knew the neighborhood was like that. If you hate the noise that much then don't buy into the area. It's like someone buying a house in the burbs and complaining they have to take the car everywhere they go.

Again, from what I know is extremely rare for any event to take place at the harbourfront center well into the wee hours of the night, the only one I"m aware of is in the summer around Caribana time, and of course exceptions like Luminto.
So I'm curious exactly what residents complain about on a regular basis, the entertainment district is another story.

My guess is that the old folks that live in the condo next to HTO west are the incessant complainers (e.g. they were trying to kill the WT bridges over the front of each slip, because they'd 'ruin their views'), and what they're complaining about is the concerts at Sirius Stage. The bandshell would face out over the lagoon and they'd be hearing the music. As for what events:

http://www.harbourfrontcentre.com/summer/

Seriously, after all the carping by kkgg7 about how little there is to do at Harbourfront, I'm going to post this link once a week in random threads. If you like food, shows, fun... pick a festival and head down to Harbourfront this summer. I highly recommend it.

Someone who thinks there is very little programming at Harbour Front Center is completely out of their minds (lets be frank, they're an ignorant fool) ... There are so many events in the summer (many of them free), it puts similar venues across North America to shame, and I'm talking about first hand comparisons to cities like Chicago and the like. That's not to say other cities don't have similar sites, or a similar amount of programming spread across multiple events ... so I'm not putting them down but simply saying no matter what you think of the 'look' at HFC there is a ton to do.

Having said that, the winter months things do die down a lot, the skating they have is great though.

Anyway, most of the vents here take place during the day and wrap up around 9pm max, that's what I'm not getting.

Anyway I wouldn't be too worried about this. Didn't they complain about the QQ's proejct i.e. redoing it, which is going ahead anyway now it seems ?

And everyone knew the neighborhood was like that. If you hate the noise that much then don't buy into the area. It's like someone buying a house in the burbs and complaining they have to take the car everywhere they go.

Nope, the neighbourhood (ED) was not always like that. It's only been so since the late 90's due to the concentration of night clubs - which was a bad idea. Since those are being greatly reduced in number, the noise disturbances are dropping off. That being said, there is still a considerable amount of daytime activity - just as down in harbourfront. Harbourfront is a venue that does host daytime events - particularly in the summer. It always has been a venue for such activities, but it's rare for anything to go on far past midnight.

And as for your insinuation that people should have known better, many of them don't go condo shopping at 2:00 AM (with respect to the ED).

As a resident of that neighbourhood, the noise has never bothered me that much. If it's too loud and I really need to sleep on a Friday night, I'll wear earplugs. That said, the horn honking does happen quite a bit. Wouldn't the easiest solution be to ban horn honking in that area after midnight? As a bonus, enforcing the rule would give the legions of cops something to do.

The Gardiner is noisier than anything happening along Queen's Quay, and that's been there the entire time. I've lived in the area for three years now and I have no idea what these complainers are talking about.

As a former resident of the area, the noise never bothered me, honking and traffic noise comes with living in a condo downtown.

There were a few older people who lived in my building who I could see calling to complain about noise, those people have nothing better to do so I'm not surprised.

Back