News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

Rob Ford and Pride

Many people aren't the mayor either - much less mayor of the city with one of the largest LGBT community in the world. It's his job.

AoD

Many people aren't the mayor either - much less mayor of the city with one of the largest LGBT community in the world. It's his job.

AoD

I disagree. The mayor has the right to go on a vacation with his family on a summer weekend. I have nothing against the LBGT community, but they already have every right a normal citizen possess including marriage, and I don't think it is the mayor's obligation to spend personal time on a parade of a particular community.

If the mayor is obligated to attend, otherwise, he is deems unfriendly to LGBT, then if there is a black people event, will he have to go too to show he has nothing against the black community? Will he have to attend the "because I am a girl" event for show he is not against women? Or all the sick kids programs to show he has nothing against sick kids? Or the Chinese New York parade to show he respects the Chinese community?

The gay parade is just one of the many cultural events in Toronto. We should not hold the mayor responsible for attending it every year even though he is not personally interested. Last year the same discussion happened too on major newspapers as if it is a big deal. Think about it, the gay community is well protected by our law and policies already, what's the big deal the mayor doesn't want to go?

It's politics, kkgg7. The mayor is expected to put in an appearance for those events where big money comes into the city from visiting tourists... the Pride parade is a huge draw for gays and lesbians in neighbouring states, just as Caribana draws routinely draws visitors from NYC, Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, etc. It's a civic pride thing and a recognition that tourism is a significant part of Toronto's economy. We all know Rob Ford isn't exactly palsy-walsy with the gay crowd, but he's expected to rise above that and play along. That's what politicians do - go for the photo op, be seen doing their bit - officially representing the city, welcoming tourists with their bulging wallets.

This shouldn't even have to be explained.

Hey, many people won't go, he wants to go to the cottage, whats the problem?
The problem is, is that all evidence suggests that Rob Ford boycotts Pride because he is anti-gay. This is discrimination.

It's nothing to do with going to the cottage. He skipped the flag raising last year, even though it was right next to his office, and instead went to visit an MLSE employee at the Air Canada Centre.

As the Mayor of such a large city, he is giving the impression that is is okay to discriminate against gays.

If he goes will he be cheered or booed?
Does the gay community wish to mend bridges or place him on a pedestal to be ridiculed and pilloried?

I think he was more in fear of the reaction of the crowd and participants than he was morally against participating.
Assuredly, being soundly booed by the crowd would take precedence in the news over the glory of his attendance.

The people who attend the parade are not the people who elected him into power (I would assume most are from the left) and he should not be blamed for wanting to avoid the embarrassment of a poor reaction.

I disagree. The mayor has the right to go on a vacation with his family on a summer weekend. I have nothing against the LBGT community, but they already have every right a normal citizen possess including marriage, and I don't think it is the mayor's obligation to spend personal time on a parade of a particular community.

If the mayor is obligated to attend, otherwise, he is deems unfriendly to LGBT, then if there is a black people event, will he have to go too to show he has nothing against the black community? Will he have to attend the "because I am a girl" event for show he is not against women? Or all the sick kids programs to show he has nothing against sick kids? Or the Chinese New York parade to show he respects the Chinese community?

The gay parade is just one of the many cultural events in Toronto. We should not hold the mayor responsible for attending it every year even though he is not personally interested. Last year the same discussion happened too on major newspapers as if it is a big deal. Think about it, the gay community is well protected by our law and policies already, what's the big deal the mayor doesn't want to go?

It is not just any old event. It is one of the largest in the city. Let's not forget that last year he even skipped the flag raising ceremony at City Hall, 100 metres from his office. He claims he was meeting with Brian Burke at the time and couldn't go... Ha! I'm sure Burke could have rescheduled. It's not like he has a heavy schedule at that time of year. And I'm sure Burke would have wanted to go the flag raising ceremony if he could. IIRC Burke was actually in the parade.

As for "Black People" events. Caribana is just as large and he should attend events at that too.

Last edited:
Ford would get a mix of boo's and cheers, who knows what the percentages would be - but who cares. He clearly doesn't want to go, so be it. I don't do the Pride parade but regardless I personally wouldn't want him there because of what went down last year, because I dislike him and because I hate what he is doing to our city.
Now the one thing he should do is read the Official Proclamation at the raising of the Pride flag when Pride Week begins and not send along the Deputy Mayor to do it. If he does that this year, I'd be very pleased.

Didn't the 2009 garbage strike occur during Pride? Miller always attended the Pride parade... what was the reaction he received from the crowd? I believe it was the public's perception that he was to blame for it.

Miller always attended the Labour Day parade too... he even showed up in 2009 despite being un-invited after the strike ended. Ford did not march in the Labour Day parade last year... big surprise.

Given that Rob Ford has attended the Caribana, Christmas, St. Patrick's and Easter parades, why not Pride? It's a huge event that brings in a ton of tourists into the city. If he skips the Pride parade this year after attending all the other parades, I think it will show a huge sign of disrespect towards Toronto's gay community. The man clearly hates anyone who doesn't support him and is willing to publicly snub them despite the fact he claims to respect all taxpayers. All he's going to do is create more animosity and create a bigger wedge between his supporters and detractors. I think he actually motivates people to pay attention to municipal politics in a way that does not favour him.

The problem is, is that all evidence suggests that Rob Ford boycotts Pride because he is anti-gay. This is discrimination.

It's nothing to do with going to the cottage. He skipped the flag raising last year, even though it was right next to his office, and instead went to visit an MLSE employee at the Air Canada Centre.

As the Mayor of such a large city, he is giving the impression that is is okay to discriminate against gays.

so Ford didn't attend the gay pride, therefore he is guilty of "discrimination"? Where did the discrimination come from? Can he be just not interested in the gay parade itself?
I don't see how "he is giving the impression that is is okay to discriminate against gays" honestly. I mean nobody HAS TO support the gay community. The fact one doesn't explicit support it doesn't mean he is guilty of discrimination.

Next time, if there is a women's breast cancer event, and Ford didn't attend, then he suddenly becomes a sexist as well? Your logic is extremely weird.

It's politics, kkgg7. The mayor is expected to put in an appearance for those events where big money comes into the city from visiting tourists... the Pride parade is a huge draw for gays and lesbians in neighbouring states, just as Caribana draws routinely draws visitors from NYC, Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, etc. It's a civic pride thing and a recognition that tourism is a significant part of Toronto's economy. We all know Rob Ford isn't exactly palsy-walsy with the gay crowd, but he's expected to rise above that and play along. That's what politicians do - go for the photo op, be seen doing their bit - officially representing the city, welcoming tourists with their bulging wallets.

This shouldn't even have to be explained.

Of course I understand it is all politics. I am not stupid. However two things to mention here

1) I think Ford at least is honest for showing disinterest in the gay affairs. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Gay rights are well protected here in Canada, and I don't see the reason why they need to receive special treatment any more. I'd rather that he doesn't show up than some mayor showing up completely out of political motivation - to appear gay friendly just for the popularity yet deep inside resents it. Ford is a person, he should be allowed to have no interest in the gay parade.

2) Does the fact the mayor shows or not show up in the event really affect attendance? Do visitors inquire about whether the mayor will be present and then decide whether to come to Toronto and watch the parade? Unless you have evidence showing Ford intentionally cut the budget for the parade, whether or not he shows up personally is not important for Toronto's tourism industry.

I think Ford at least is honest for showing disinterest in the gay affairs. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Gay rights are well protected here in Canada, and I don't see the reason why they need to receive special treatment any more.

While you might describe Pride as being solely about "gay affairs," some of us would view it as that and much more. For example, this is a Toronto event - one that is known around the world, and one that sends a clear message about life in Toronto. Recognition of Pride and of same sex rights also highlights the ideals of tolerance and freedom to be as one is - a right that has been hard fought for against prejudice and hate. Pride also respects the motto of our city: "Diversity Our Strength."

By turning his back on these things, the mayor turns his back on significant and important qualities and ideals of this city. He does so, in my opinion, out of ignorance and blinkered politics.

While you might describe Pride as being solely about "gay affairs," some of us would view it as that and much more. For example, this is a Toronto event - one that is known around the world, and one that sends a clear message about life in Toronto. Recognition of Pride and of same sex rights also highlights the ideals of tolerance and freedom to be as one is - a right that has been hard fought for against prejudice and hate. Pride also respects the motto of our city: "Diversity Our Strength."

By turning his back on these things, the mayor turns his back on significant and important qualities and ideals of this city. He does so, in my opinion, out of ignorance and blinkered politics.

It should be about equality and same sex rights. However, the parade is a symbol of lewd and crude bahaviour that would lead to arrest the other 360 days of the year. Thats why I think he could attend the flag raising - which he could spin any way he wants (i.e. to show support for equality), but avoid the parade which is probably the biggest source of controversy - especially amongst his supporters.

Back