2.1K     3 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 723     0 

Person Jumps to Death in Bremner Blvd Condo Fire

hawc

Member Bio
Reaction score
416_cp24_bremner_fire_120417.jpg

CP24 - Toronto police are investigating after a person was found dead on a street after emergency crews responded to a fire in a high-rise condominium Tuesday morning.

A body was found outside the Residences of Maple Leaf Square, at 55 Bremner Blvd., while a second person was transported to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, police told CP24.

The cause of the fire, which occurred at about 6 a.m., and the circumstances of the person's death are under investigation. The body was discovered on Lake Shore Boulevard shortly after firefighters arrived at the building.

The fire occurred in a bedroom on the 41st floor.

It's believed the person who was found on the street lives in the suite where the fire occurred.

York Street was closed between Lake Shore Boulevard and Front Street for about an hour, while Bremner Boulevard reopened shortly after 8 a.m.

The building was evacuated as a precaution. Firefighters went through the building to ensure it was safe for residents to return.

From CBC:

One man is dead following a fire at a condominium building on Bremner Boulevard on Tuesday morning.

The fire, which broke out on the 41st floor of the Maple Leaf Square condos at 55 Bremner, near the corner of York Street and Lakeshore Boulevard, was quickly brought under control.

But the investigation was complicated after the discovery of a body on the ground.

Police confirmed that the victim was a male who lived in the unit on 41st floor of the high-rise where the fire broke out, but they are not sure about the circumstances surrounding the death. They suspect the man died trying to escape the fire.

A second person was taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The two-alarm fire was confined to one apartment but all of the residents were asked to leave.

"We smelled smoke in our unit, so I took a look out the window and I could see smoke billowing. We just waited for the announcement to evacuate — and that's what we did. We just grabbed what we could and we ran out — actually we walked down approximately 40 flights of stairs," one resident told CBC News.

At least the fire was confined to the unit it was in and didn't spread.

i don't know ... something is fishy.

it's only a two-alarm fire and the majority of the units aren't that big in the first place, so why didn't/couldn't he just walk out the entry door?

Looks exactly like my unit. I always assumed I would climb out around the glass, but I'm so dumb. All you'd have to do is smash it and go over and in through their unit. Now, if the whole floor was on fire that would be different.

Edited because the Toronto Star published an article full of inaccuracies

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were a betting man I'd say this is a grow-op/meth lab/e-press operation gone very, *very* wrong.

Seeing the story blurb today, I was wondering if anyone assumed it was me actually making good on my notion of tit-for-tatting kkgg7 for endorsing the Yonge + Gould arson...

Urgent request from the Toronto Star

Hello,

My name is Anita Li; I'm a reporter for the Toronto Star.

I'm working on a story about the incident at 55 Bremner Blvd. yesterday. If anyone here knows information about the tenants that lived in the unit that caught fire, please contact me as soon as possible.

I can be reached at ali@thestar.ca. Any assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Anita Li
Reporter, The Toronto Star
ali@thestar.ca
Twitter: @neeeda

Toronto Star
One Yonge Street
Toronto, Ontario
M5E 1E6

Back