1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 631     0 

Advertising on the TTC

raquel

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
Wasnt sure if this was the right place, but it is TTC related, I guess this could also go in Toronto issues.

Anyway, as if the TTC didnt have enough problems as it is, two religious groups are up in arms over Islamic religious advertising. Maybe they should just stick to Coke ads and avoid all this controversy? A Hindu group plus some Christian leader Rev McVety , and also Tarek Fatah (Muslim moderate)?

Way to piss everyone off!

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/15/hindu-group-targets-religious-adds-on-ttc

http://m.torontosun.com/2012/04/04/holy-war-erupts-on-ttc?noimage=true

Why should Hindus be offended? They can go take out an ad of their own if they want to. This guy doesn't speak for Hindus anyway.

The TTC reviewed the Walk-in Islamic Info Centre ads and decided they can stay.

It's also rather odd to be up in arms about Islamic advertising when the TTC and Astral/Pattison accept and defend the Evangelical "Bus Stop Ministries" ads (themselves controversial), pro-Zionist ads, and pro-Atheist ads.

So what's your point, raquel?

Last edited:
It is news and it is about the TTC.

BTW the second link showed Tarek Fatah (a MUSLIM ) also opposes these ads, is he a 'known Islamophobe also?? AND also Rev Charles McVety, a prominent Christian leader doesnt like it either.

SO can we please stop the 'known Islamophobe' mudslinging here?

It seems, ShonTron, that you have some pretty deep seated biases and perhaps some personal axe to grind, which clouds your objectivity.

Get back to me when a real newspaper starts reporting on this outrage.

Vicente is right, this goof represents a very small group, does not speak for Hindus and has some interesting company, like the JDF. These are also the same people who created the manufactured controversy at Valley Park Middle School.

Googling "Charles McVety" pulls up some rather interesting links. Just start with the Wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_McVety

Yep, Islamophobes.

Last edited:

There you go again with your infuriating judgementalism. SO tell me, how many 'real papers' do you own? Are you a media mogul of some sort? So what expertise do you have to judge them with?

I happen to LIKE the Sun and dont appreciate you crapping all over my reading choices. SInce you are a Moderator here, maybe you should pretend at least to have some semblance of professionalism AND STOP INSULTING your reader's choices .. Just because Your Highness doesnt like them.

Vicente is right, this goof represents a very small group, does not speak for Hindus and has some interesting company, like the JDF. These are also the same people who created the manufactured controversy at Valley Park Middle School.

And OF COURSE, no reply to the fact that TAREK FATAH a MUSLIM and McVety are both saying the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you've got one Muslim and a right wing homophobic, islamophobic evangelical with ties to the Conservatives as your evidence?

So you've got one Muslim and a right wing homophobic, islamophobic evangelical with ties to the Conservatives as your evidence?

Yes. A Muslim who has his own radio show, is part of the Muslim Canadian Congress, and a prominent commentator and leader in their community.Yeah, he's just a nobody, isnt he?

Sorry if that's not good enough for Your Highness.

Googling "Charles McVety" pulls up some rather interesting links. Just start with the Wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_McVety

Yep, Islamophobes.

You're right, everyone on the entire planet except you is an 'Islamophobe'.

Let me guess.Your name is .... Mohammed? Ali ?

The Islam poster could have been worded better, though I doubt a religious organization cares much about inclusiveness. It is a bit of an insult to any one of another faith to be told that Alah is the one true god (for the record I am basically agnostic). The same message, driving people to the Islam discovery booth at Yonge-Dundas can be made without the "my religion is more righteous than yours" sentiment.

The little girl irks me because it sends a message to pray while suffering rather than actively seek out assistance.

Religious ads are a tricky thing and I personally feel that the TTC should avoid them. However if they do choose to accept them I think there should be a review panel composed of representatives from major religious groups in the city to ensure that religious ads are, for lack of a better term, inclusive.

I happen to LIKE the Sun and dont appreciate you crapping all over my reading choices. SInce you are a Moderator here, maybe you should pretend at least to have some semblance of professionalism AND STOP INSULTING your reader's choices .. Just because Your Highness doesnt like them.

Even though I'm left wing, I still read and appreciate papers that have a right lean like the National Post and the G&M (the NP is particular has put all other papers to shame in the covering of the Robocalls scandal). I respect these papers because, even though they have a right lean, they still deal in the realm of reality and facts. I like to get different perspectives on the same issue, because I think that getting all of your news from one media outlet, or even a bunch of media outlets on the same side of the political spectrum, doesn't get you the full story. And since I know you're going to ask, I actually do read multiple papers on an almost daily basis (G&M, NP, Star, Ottawa Citizen, CNN (which isn't a paper, but I read everything online anyway)).

The Sun on the other hand is nothing but a propaganda machine for the NeoCons. Most of the articles have a tenuous grasp the facts, and that's being kind. Others are just downright lies.

So you must have some sort of interest in this story, then?

So you must have no answer to my logic, then? Since you reply by asking questions re my personal identity, which is 'personal' for a reason.

Dont worry about my interest. Worry about yourself, dont worry about other people.

Even though I'm left wing, I still read and appreciate papers that have a right lean like the National Post and the G&M (the NP is particular has put all other papers to shame in the covering of the Robocalls scandal). I respect these papers because, even though they have a right lean, they still deal in the realm of reality and facts. I like to get different perspectives on the same issue, because I think that getting all of your news from one media outlet, or even a bunch of media outlets on the same side of the political spectrum, doesn't get you the full story. And since I know you're going to ask, I actually do read multiple papers on an almost daily basis (G&M, NP, Star, Ottawa Citizen, CNN (which isn't a paper, but I read everything online anyway)).

The Sun on the other hand is nothing but a propaganda machine for the NeoCons. Most of the articles have a tenuous grasp the facts, and that's being kind. Others are just downright lies.

Nice post. The National Post can have some finely written articles, and I appreciate reasoning and intelligent counterpoints to my own views and biases. I've been disappointed more and more by the G&M, though.

Let me guess.Your name is .... Mohammed? Ali ?

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. Don't get stung.

Back