Erin Mills Expansion & Cineplex Junxion | 14.75m | 1s | OPB | MMC Architecture

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
The original plan for Erin Mills had two centres, one at Burnhamthorpe and Erin Mills, the other at Eglinton and Erin Mills. There is no North Common because it wasn't built as planned, it (much) later became Erin Mills Town Centre.

Sewell's The Shape of the City shows some of the original plans for Erin Mills.

The ultimate in Ontario greyfield experiences was Blandford Square in Woodstock, before it finally bit the dust. Centre Mall in Hamilton has that feel (the Zellers is in an old Morgan's Department Store, the Sears is the first Simpsons-Sears in Canada from 1954) but hurry before it is redeveloped. The old Eaton Centres in Hamilton (+Jackson Square), Brantford, Sarnia and London (Galleria) have it as well.

If Shoppers World Brampton declines again, it would make a great place to recreate the Dixie Square Mall scene in the original Blues Brothers movie.

The original plan for Erin Mills had two centres, one at Burnhamthorpe and Erin Mills, the other at Eglinton and Erin Mills. There is no North Common because it wasn't built as planned, it (much) later became Erin Mills Town Centre.

Sorry, my mind registered Meadowvale Town Centre, or whatever it was called, as "North Common"...

From: http://www.reportonbusiness.com/ser.../?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20080710.wbathandbody0710

The Canadian Press

July 10, 2008 at 7:11 AM EDT

COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Bath & Body works chain is coming to Canada.

American parent company Limited Brands Inc. announced Thursday that six Canadian stores will open this fall. They will join the existing 1,600 locations of the chain, which describes itself as the largest specialty retailer of beauty and personal-care items.

The six stores in the chain's Canadian beachhead will be at the West Edmonton Mall in Edmonton; Fairview Mall and Yorkdale Shopping Centre in Toronto; Erin Mills Town Centre in Mississauga, Ont.; Stone Road Mall in Guelph, Ont.; and White Oaks Mall in London, Ont.

These locations will hire about 250 full- and part-time workers, the company said.

“Our acquisition of La Senza last year allows Canada to be our stepping stone into international expansion,†stated Leslie Wexner, chairman and chief executive officer of Limited Brands.

Laurence Lewin, president and co-founder of the La Senza lingerie chain, which has 326 stores in Canada and 341 internationally, added that “thanks to our years of Canadian retail experience, we understand the needs and desires of our Canadian consumers.â€

Limited Brands specialty retail operations, totalling almost 3,000 locations, also include Victoria's Secret, C.O. Bigelow, White Barn Candle Co. and Henri Bendel.

Wow a Bath & Body Works for Erin Mills TC? That's a surprise! I'd've thought Square One first. I guess Square One is out of space. Erin Mills is also getting a Children's Place apparently.

Square One used to have a Children's Place, but I think the demographics suit a mall like Erin Mills for that better.

I am surprised too that Square One is not getting Bath & Body Works.

Easy. Yorkdale has a few higher end stores that EC does not have (e.g. Tiffany, Burberry, Holt's). However, both malls boast annoying students. At least EC seems to get more post-secondary types...

I think Oxford must be a little better than Cadillac Fairview for getting high-end retailers. Oxford manages Yorkdale, Square One, as well as Dufferin Mall. Cadillac Fairview manages Eaton Centre, Sherway Gardens, Markville, Promenade, Fairview, Erin Mills. Anyone care to guess why shitty malls like Markville, Promenade and Erin Mills have H&Ms? ;)

I think Oxford must be a little better than Cadillac Fairview for getting high-end retailers. Oxford manages Yorkdale, Square One, as well as Dufferin Mall. Cadillac Fairview manages Eaton Centre, Sherway Gardens, Markville, Promenade, Fairview, Erin Mills. Anyone care to guess why shitty malls like Markville, Promenade and Erin Mills have H&Ms? ;)

Square One has H&M.

CF seems to have more upscale stores in their malls. They do have Abercrombie and Hollister and Holt's after all.

Not sure if this was mentioned or not...
Coming to Square One is...

Pink by Victoria's Secret
Bath & Body Works
Jean Machine's new concept store, as well as Le Chateau's new concept store.

Square One getting Bath & Body Works will be the death knell for Erin Mills. Now there'll be no reason for anyone to go to EMTC. Not that anyone does anyway LOL.

I know this thread is for "New" stores, but I thought I'd point out a store leaving this time. Esprit recently left Erin Mills Town Centre. No idea what (if anything) will be replacing it. It's not hard to see why Esprit left. EMTC isn't exactly a destination mall. But Esprit leaving doesn't exactly bode well for the mall. What's next? Guess?

On a separate note, Erin Mills Town Centre is getting an LCBO and a bunch of other pad retailers on one of the SW outparcels (near Tim Horton's).
I wonder when they're going to wake up and pave the path from the SE corner of their lot to the intersection. Pedestrian traffic has long ago killed a wide swath of grass and on rainy or snowy days, they're trudging through mud, slush an heads of unshoveled snow. It's not like they actually put in a pathway nearby that is being ignored, either.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...641,-79.707452&spn=0.002974,0.005466&t=k&z=18

Very cool. Thanks for that tidbit. They are opening a Calgary store now, so I guess the Canadian expansion is going well. It will be nice to see Square One get some non-fashion retail.

On a separate note, Erin Mills Town Centre is getting an LCBO and a bunch of other pad retailers on one of the SW outparcels (near Tim Horton's).

I really wish they'd just give EMTC an expansion rather than putting more stores on the outside. Unless they're going for a Meadowvale/South Common makeover in the future.

Looking at EMTC's site, it's LCBO and Indigo. I wonder if that means the Coles in the mall will close down?

Last edited:
I went to a job interview for A&F when they were about to open at Sherway.
The question came up why they didn't open a store in Square One instead. The answer they gave is that the mall wasn't classy enough for an A&F, or something to that effect.

lol what a poor answer. I've been in some malls down south that were total dives that have had Hollister and A&F stores. Square One is now one of the nicer malls in the GTA. I'm not sure if they still lay claim to being the biggest mall in Canada (I think by # of stores as the Eaten Centre had it by sq feet if you included the Bay, West Edmonton wasn't classified as a mall) but it's a stupid mistake not to put a store in there. It would be a gold mine.

It's about a 10km jaunt across the Queensway... do people think it's far because one is in Toronto, and the other Mississauga, or am I missing something?

I agree, one can get to Erin Mills Town Centre in about 5 minutes from Square One if the traffic is clear. Speaking of, my how that mall has aged terribly. I remember when it opened in 1989 and had that awesome video board and mini golf in the centre.

lol what a poor answer. I've been in some malls down south that were total dives that have had Hollister and A&F stores. Square One is now one of the nicer malls in the GTA. I'm not sure if they still lay claim to being the biggest mall in Canada (I think by # of stores as the Eaten Centre had it by sq feet if you included the Bay, West Edmonton wasn't classified as a mall) but it's a stupid mistake not to put a store in there. It would be a gold mine.

I agree, one can get to Erin Mills Town Centre in about 5 minutes from Square One if the traffic is clear. Speaking of, my how that mall has aged terribly. I remember when it opened in 1989 and had that awesome video board and mini golf in the centre.

When I was in Boston, I went to a mall (Northshore Mall) with A&F/Hollister/Victoria's Secret/Pink and it was quieter than Erin Mills Town Centre. Maybe it was just the time of day, but if that mall could have those stores, then Erin Mills could have those stores, never mind Square One.

Trust me, anywhere outside of Toronto it is:)

Come to Mississsauga. We only have two Tim Hortons in the Erin Mills Town Centre vicinity, and only two at or near Square One, and only three at or near Heartland. How anyone could possibly call that oversaturated is beyond me :cool:

Back