Toronto Canary District Condominiums | 35.96m | 11s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

yyzer

Member Bio
Reaction score
"the largest urban village in Toronto's history is ready to soar"

http://canarydistrict.com/

thx to @buzzbuzzhome twitter feed for the tip..

/as these are condos, assuming this is separate from the Pan Am athletes' village?..

Last edited:
I'm guessing so.

I went to the site. Pretty saccharine music they had going.

I'll miss the old Canary. I had many a brekkie in there at one point. Used to have studio space in the old trucking terminal on Mill St., east of Cherry - pulverized by dozers in the redevelopment of the area.

I'm guessing so.

I'll miss the old Canary.

Me too.

I'm of course fully aware that this developer had nothing to do with the Canary closing, but this name puts me in mind of one of those "Let's raze this forest grove and put up a subdivision and call it Forest Grove" deals, and it just puts me in a pissy mood. I hate marketing some days.

Ooh, looks good!

http://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/canary-district-condos

6919587604_1fbec8edd2_b.jpg

trying to work out the orientation. Is that Cherry Street in the back right, with Front Street coming through? I like it.

more info from www.talkcondo.com it is indeed at Front & Cherry...

-Will house approximately 1,200 new units
-Improved infrastructure including new roads and public spaces featuring the Front Street promenade and re-construction of Eastern Avenue and Cherry Street which will include a new streetcar route.
-A brand new 82,000 square foot YMCA which will be used as a training facility during the Pan Am Games.

Master Plan of Canary District Condos, pic courtesy of talkcondo.com...

canary-district-condos-map.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like the old Canary building is being preserved as-is? What will it be re-purposed for?

I kind of like the Canary District website - even the saccharine music. It's a refreshing contrast to the uber-cool trance/techno and the cool dudes and hot sultry babes that populate most of the imagery on these sites. It's more genuine and think it captures something about the potential of this new district. West Don Lands is a clean slate but still rooted in history due to it's context and it's past, and the development model is based more on Scandinavian urbanism than the crass, speculative model that dominates most new development in Toronto. (ie, facadism and 'go for 40 storeys at the OMB')

And I hope the name 'Canary District' sticks.

I don't see the marketing vibe as being more genuine so much as it's simply a different strategy. Hope it works for them. It's certainly not trying to be über cool. I find it a little mawkish.

I love the Canary building, but are we going to have the Canary District alongside the Distillery District? Or will one cancel the other out. I vote for the latter - it was there first and its industry was very important in the early days of the city.

Back