News   Apr 26, 2024
 145     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 158     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 586     0 

77 Bloor St. W ( 2 storey rooftop conversion and canopy)

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is the building on the southwest corner of Bay/Bloor that houses the TD Bank.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Re-Examined

TORONTO ON M5S 1M2

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 305327 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Nov 4, 2011

Project: Non-Residential Building Addition

Description: Proposal to convert 20th and 21st mechanical floors to office space and construct canopy (encroaching on public property) on ground floor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5S 1M2

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 12 150192 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Apr 5, 2012

Project: Storage Room Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to extend the service of four existing elevators to the 20th floor storage room (36m2) in existing office building.

77bloorj4.jpg

Great shot, androiduk. I'm looking forward to seeing what the canopy will look like.

It's a shame the new office floors don't have the same type of windows as the other office floors, because it's actually quite attractive with the grid pattern of inset windows it currently has. Could do without the PoMo entrance they added in recent decades, but maybe that will be removed as part of the new canopy.

Black steel to match the windows would have been a better choice. Maybe I'm nitpicking.

That's not nitpicking. Matching to the windows would be a very logical and obvious thing to do :)

However, I think it's definite that they will be cladding over the steel with something, so let's see what they do.

I'm not sure it respects the buildings' original architecture but I do like it ! Looks great in person ... one down side ... wish they took the opportunity to use the granite paving .... instead its concrete beside the building ...

On that note, the BIA has replaced all / most ... of the broken granite further west (the drive way), looks great again ... hope it lasts though ..

I find the new strip windows at the top give the building a bit of a "unibrow" look

Gerald_Samson_(Official_Image).png

Thanks for reminding me sp!re. I took this a week ago but forgot to post it.

77s30.jpg

Wow - that looks awful.

It seems the entre colour scheme for the retail level was chosen to match the TD Waterhouse signage.
So instead of a retail tenant in a building, it's a building attached to a retail tenant.

I don't see that at all. Though I think they could have incorporated the renovations in a better manner, I think a dark grey was the perfect choice; it matches with the existing building and its windows nicely.

TD Bank is merely a tenant; the building owners are the ones who did the project, so matching it to the TD Branch would not have been their priority. Plus, how is dark grey one of TD's colours? Their colours are dark and light green.

The gray strip along the top has been outfitted with TD green coloured lights. I saw them this morning. It looked sharp, actually.

The lights do the whole LED dance through a rainbow of colours. Workers we onsite tweaking things at 9:30 tonight.

Back